Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first imaging effort...Langrenus

stefski

Hi All,

I've never imaged the moon, so I thought I'd have a go using my Watec video camera. Attached to my Nexstar 11 + 6.3 focal reducer. I've never used Registax before either. Have just spent 20mins playing around.:icon_eek:....Anyway, here it is...Langrenus with a few friends, taken about 45minutes ago (2121UT)....

:eek:Wow, have just seen some of the other images on this part of the forum....I've got a long way to go methinks:)

031109LangrenusDayafterfullmoon.bmp

Very nice first effort Stef and well worthy of posting. Around the full moon is often not the best time to image due to the distinct lack of shadow detail. Keep at it though, definately better than my first effort.

Steve..

"Messier and Pickering" That must be quite an old Moon map.

They dropped the Pickering name a while ago and it's been downgraded to Messier A.

I could never understand why the Pickering name was dropped.

Does anyone know why?

"Messier and Pickering" That must be quite an old Moon map.

They dropped the Pickering name a while ago and it's been downgraded to Messier A.

I could never understand why the Pickering name was dropped.

Does anyone know why?

:icon_scratch:yes, I noticed that on my moon map....Anyone know why they dropped the name?

Thanks all for all the kind comments!

:icon_eek:

Stef

Cheers John:)....Yeah, I'm mostly a visual, DSO type of guy. This watec enables me to see DSO's in real time through the 'scope. Great piece of kit. It has a high shutter speed setting, so I thought I'd give the moon a go.

Stef

I like the image a lot

I hope you don't mind me playing with the levels :icon_eek:;)

Not at all:).....How did you do that? Did you do it in Registax or Photoshop?:) Like, I've said I'm new to all this imaging stuff. I don't even know what Photoshop is:iamwithstupid:? Never had to use it before...Is it a free download?

Stef

Not at all:).....How did you do that? Did you do it in Registax or Photoshop?:icon_eek: Like, I've said I'm new to all this imaging stuff. I don't even know what Photoshop is:iamwithstupid:? Never had to use it before...Is it a free download?

Stef

It is done by adjusting the levels (AKA stretching the histogram)

There are many programs that allow you to do this, some are clunkier than others, some cost more etc. I use CS3.

and have a quick tute that is not really aimed at this but uses the same principle

Here

http://users.adam.com.au/rscott/CS3%20Quick%20and%20Dirty%20Color.htm

Photoshop CS3 is not free. "The Gimp" is and is popular with many although I don't find the controls intuitive, same goes for Registax for this function. I guess it's what you get used to to a large degree. Really it is best to nearly fill the histogram to begin with ie, when you take the shot (slow the shutter speed or up the gain or brightness a bit) rather than try to fix it in post processing. Some capture software has the ability to display live histogram info eg wxAstrocapture (free) will work with lots of USB webcams (I don't know about your camera though)

Hope this helps a bit :)

I have bought PS-CS3 recently which cost £120 with serial code from Amazon, it is the best software around for processing 16bit images and does everything but PS Elements is only 8bit and comes with most laptops and costs £20 or there abouts but does not do nearly as much as CS3. Registax will allow you to use brightness/contrast as well as gamma and stretch with histogram - Reg5 is really quite good for simple processing.

John.

Cheers john.....I've tried fiddling with the Histogram on Reg5, but all it seems to do is make the image worse! Doesn't seem to work like what I saw on the CS3 link provided by Clayton above.

stef

I have had some success with Registax in this respect, but found it counter intuitive. I found that if I did things opposite to the way I thought I should be then it began to work the way I had intended?? I think good results should be possible but when I discovered how easy it is in CS3 I have never really gone back.

I just had a go with your picture in "The GIMP" which is free, and it works just the same (just look in the Tools>Colour Tools>Levels for the controls. As this used to be just a LINUX program but now runs under Windows as well, make sure you get the Windows version (assuming you run Windows)

Archived