1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

What 'bout this cosmonaut?

Most of you probably already know about the conspiracy of a cosmonaut in the 1960s. For those who don't, or want to refresh their memory, here's a link with an audio file allegedly containing the radio transmission recorded by the Judica-Cordiglia brothers of Italy.

I'd like your comments on it.

Link is here

Edited by BeyondVision
Added link as requested by poster

love it or hate it, maths is sometimes beautiful.

i went over the derivation of eulers relation, exp(i*pi)+1=0 for some cadets doing maths, and i was almost slightly emotional when I got to the end and stepped back to take in what I had written

I suggest you have a look at eulers relation, and the derivation. Quite beautiful

here's a link with an audio file allegedly containing the radio transmission recorded by the Judica-Cordiglia brothers of Italy.

I see no link! It just could be techno-nogo me, but I can't find it.....

Steph

i went over the derivation of eulers relation, exp(i*pi)+1=0 for some cadets doing maths, and i was almost slightly emotional when I got to the end and stepped back to take in what I had written

Yes, this beautiful equation uses each of the five most important numbers (0, 1, pi, e, i) once and only once, and uses no other numbers!

Paul - Get a life :icon_eek:
Craig.

I have a right to like anything I want (within reason) and I shouldnt be ridiculed for it.

Have you seen the derivation?

I am surprised this comment came from a moderator.

Paul

Suppose that while you were out with friends hoisting pints, you made a comment about the beauty of mathematics, and that one of your non-maths friends responded "Get a life, mate!" You would probably take this as good-natured teasing/ribbing and not think anything of it. Different strokes for different folks.

On the internet, even with emoticons, it's sometimes difficult, at least for me, to know how to take comments. No visual facial or aural clues.

Maybe Craig meant his comment to taken in a manner similar to my imaginary sceario.

GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!!:icon_eek:

Most of you probably already know about the conspiracy of a cosmonaut in the 1960s. For those who don't, or want to refresh their memory, here's a link with an audio file allegedly containing the radio transmission recorded by the Judica-Cordiglia brothers of Italy.

VHB, there doesn't appear to be a link - or is it that I just can't find it?

Sam

I suggest you have a look at eulers relation, and the derivation. Quite beautiful

Know that one Paul. B-e-a-utiful

I see no link! It just could be techno-nogo me, but I can't find it.....

Steph

GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC!!!!:)

VHB, there doesn't appear to be a link - or is it that I just can't find it?

Sam

A big sorry for that!

The link I wanted you to see is here.

Is there no way I could probably get this post - at least the last bit - to the top? For the benefit of other members?:icon_eek:

Interesting read. Whether it happened or not I dont have an opinion, only to state that the Soviet Union was responsible for sending many to certain death on Earth, and still has an appalling record as regards human rights, so, scruples, i'm not sure they come into it.

As for the secondary subject of maths......whatever turns you on :) I dont have a head for figures myself, numbers confuse me and I dont "see" them clearly. Even so I can muster an IQ test score sufficient for Mensa, so maybe should have tried harder at school :icon_eek: It has always seemed to me, and this is purely an observation, that people are either good at maths/figures etc, or they have a flair for the arts, rarely both. Is that something others have noted?

Cheers

TJ

As far as the math, i haven't a clue. :icon_eek:

But i have heard the story of the Cosmonaut before... whether it's true or false, who knows?

Keep in mind that anyone can open a website and post an audio link. Heck, i heard an audio recording online that was 'supposedly' Neil Armstrong reporting that aliens were watching him and Buzz. :) (I like to keep an open mind too, but not so open that my brain falls out, know what i mean? ;) )

like TJ, I wouldn't put it passed the Russians/Soviets to have sacrificed some loyal underpaid cosmonaut "volunteer", but whether there's any truth in it ??? I guess we'll never really know.

As for the beauty of maths- I've read a number of v interesting books lately and currently reading a great book on Chaos, in it there are several references to how unlike other applied sciences, Pure Mathematics and mathematicians view numbers and equations in the same way that artists view and strive for aesthetic beauty and harmony, unfortunately I, again like TJ, lack the skills to "see" the beauty of equations, but that doesn't stop me from accepting that's how it is perceived.

PS there's lots of maths involved in the success (or lack of it) of harmony/perspective and composition in the fine arts !

I was a schoolkid at the time of the Gagarin flight (1961). I remember the buzz going all round the school - partly the excitement that the 'space age' was really here, but also the conspiracy theory talk already rife. One of the persistent comments was "the Russians didn't announce this until Yuri was safely back on earth". Why? because he was about the sixth or seventh cosmonaut whom the Russians sent up. Just that he was the first one to come back...:icon_eek::eek::)

But I'm a natural sceptic when it comes to conspiracy theories. I tend not to believe, even then I didn't believe them. Having said that, the link in the OP above is alarming in its detail, and mighty convincing. I wish I understood Russian!

As for this thread going off topic: well it's up to the OP to complain - and remember that it appears in the Physics and Space Science section - perhaps it would be better placed in Astro Lounge? Anyway, looking up the posts I feel a slighting remark has been made - even if it were not meant to be serious and in the best of good humour, it stands: it can't be unsaid by others, perhaps the person who made it ....?

As for this thread going off topic: well it's up to the OP to complain - and remember that it appears in the Physics and Space Science section - perhaps it would be better placed in Astro Lounge? Anyway, looking up the posts I feel a slighting remark has been made - even if it were not meant to be serious and in the best of good humour, it stands: it can't be unsaid by others, perhaps the person who made it ....?

Pete.

I would have to say that it is forum etiquette to stay on topic, not something any OP should have to complain about before being shown the proper respect IMHO.....No matter what section it has been posted in....

As for the remark in question, it is being dealt with.....