Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

S@N saved my bacon

ashenlight

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done Amanda!

But don´t be worried if you lose interest for a while there is always something that takes over. I got back into astronomy in 2007 after a fair few years out but never stopped watching the Sky at night..

Neil C

Good on S@N for giving you that boost. I bet it's a great watch. But as for the lottery, well, one of the easiest economies to make in life is not to buy a ticket. You can have all the fun of fantasizing, secure in the knowledge that buying a ticket will have no significant effect on your chances!

Olly

The stupid thing with the lottery is that I keep dreaming about what I would buy if I won and yet if I hadn´t bought the tickets in the first place I would probably have enough money to buy that high end CCD camera I want...

I hope you are going to do a review of the first episode on the DVD!

Neil C

Oooooh, you lucky thing! Well done.

I know exactly how you feel. My life is sooo busy that I'm often too tired to get the scope up in the garden and I feel the same gloom that you do. I'm desperate to do astrophotograhy! I've decided to get some heads together to build a moveable little storage/obsy for my scope as I have to move it around my garden for different views! Then it'll be set up and ready for a quick polar align and observe when I need it!

If I can't observe I just read loads, go to my astro society, come on this forum and know that one day I'll be able to get the thing out, even just for a quick look and a quick look is often all I need to satisfy myself I've at least done something!

Chin up girl, you'll get there!

Alexxx

Well done Amanda. It's a superb series (saw it first time round....(where's me pension book...lol), and, whilst it has aged a bit, it's still an outstanding series, by a genuinely brilliant man

Enjoy

Yes, Good old Sir P. revered by millions. I wish the BBC would elevate his Sky at Night prog. to a more deserving slot. To hell with the

X Factor brigade, and that Striclty go Dancing boredom lot.

The last S @ N programme showed the Lcross attempt to evaluate the moon for water content. The event was a damp squib as far as a spectacle for hopeful astronomers hoping to see a massive plume of debris shoot up into the lunar sky.

However, the project scientists stated they did get good data, and results will be released soon.

Patrick has always maintained the moon is completely arid. So mostly for his sake, I am tempted to hope he is right, although there were hints that water is there. We await the outcome.

Ron.:icon_eek:

Congratulations on your victory.

I have found the need to be quite philosophical about astronomy. It's something I plan to enjoy over a lifetime, rather than something I intend to 'complete' in the next year. If I get two clear skies between now and the end of the year, so be it. If you wake up and check the forecast each morning it is soon going to get to you. Have other interests besides astronomy and don't fret too much about how long it is forecast to be before the next clear night.

Or am I just not passionate enough? :icon_eek:

Good on you chuck

I also agree with Iamjulian, I very rarely get time to get out there even when the skies are really clear which makes it even harder but I would never think of packing up this hobby and as Iamjulian says if I get out there once or twice more this year that is enough to keep me going . Its a great hobby and one you can pursue all your life so a few cloudy nights or whatever life throws at you should not put you off from getting out there whenever you can and losing yourself in your own little universe.

Vlebo

It's a very very good series and still very relevant today, I originally had it on VHS but my vhs is now dead so i went and got the 7dvd boxset. Already watched it once straight through, and started watching it with a mate who has never seen it, 6hrs down, another 7 to go.

Congrats on the win, for anyone who hasn't seen it....it's worth it's weight in stardust :icon_eek:

Thank you all for your comments and words of encouragement :)

I'm desperate to do astrophotograhy! I've decided to get some heads together to build a moveable little storage/obsy for my scope as I have to move it around my garden for different views! Then it'll be set up and ready for a quick polar align and observe when I need it!

Nice one Alex hope you get that obsy up and running it'll make so much of a difference. You can just get out there when the mood/energy takes you then :)

I hope you are going to do a review of the first episode on the DVD!

Very much hope to Neil - I haven't had time to watch the second episode yet. It really is a fantastic series - it does seem a little old hat in some ways, but on other ways it is so relevant. There are some feelings people get about the universe that just don't go out of fashion..

Congratulations on your victory.

I have found the need to be quite philosophical about astronomy. It's something I plan to enjoy over a lifetime, rather than something I intend to 'complete' in the next year.

Or am I just not passionate enough? :(

Julian, I would just say you are realistic, like me ;) A very good stand to take - let's face it, any astronomy is better than no astronomy, even if it means we have to wait months between each session!

Your replies and the DVD have really picked me up guys, thanks :D Even though life is hectic atm, I am still finding the time to just look up when I'm putting the dog out the back at night and take a few moments for myself. Isn't that what it's all about anyway? ;)

Thanks again, you're all the best :icon_eek:

Very much hope to Neil - I haven't had time to watch the second episode yet. It really is a fantastic series - it does seem a little old hat in some ways, but on other ways it is so relevant. There are some feelings people get about the universe that just don't go out of fashion..

Might seem old hat, but you'll find that although there are small updates at the ends of some of the episodes, the vast majority is as relative today, as it was back when it was originally filmed. And for me, its more about the humbling passion he exudes when he talks about the the cosmos and what we really could be, if everyone worked together and instead of lookin down, looked up in unison.

Carl Sagan day tomorrow.

75th Birthday......I wonder what he would say about the state of the world today and in what ways he would have pushed space exploration. Sorely missed, but never forgotten.

Archived