Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

S@N saved my bacon

ashenlight

Hello all :)

Lately, I've been having a bit of a tough time getting out there to observe. I'm really not one to moan, but life has been hectic and with things going on left right and centre I just haven't had the 'astronomy fire' burning strong in me anymore. I'm sure you can all sympathise... life gets in the way and your biggest passion has to take a backseat to all the 'important' things in our everyday lives. Anyway, I was feeling really down about it, is it worth me trying to carry on with astronomy, is it practical etc etc. ANYWAY

Ages ago (not sure how long precisely) I entered the S@N magazine competition to win one of five copies of Carl Sagan's Cosmos - the new box set. My parents have always mentioned it to me, how brilliant it was and how much I'd love to watch it - such a shame it isn't repeated etc. Then the box set came out and as I said I entered the competition on a whim. I've never won anything in my life.

Up until now that is!!! I've only gone and won it!!!! :icon_eek: I was so thrilled to open the package - a rather ominous package at that as I wasn't expecting anything at all - to find the DVD there. I checked the S@N website but the competition page has a different competition and the winners up there - might have missed my name being up there.... no email in my inbox but who cares! It's come at just the right time to snap me out of feeling frustrated with lack of telescope time (not to mention the British weather of late isn't it just awful?)

I wanted to share that all with you anyway:) I'm so pleased ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you!

What good timing too, as your life was making you rethink your hobby. The lack of clear skies doesn't help either. I'm sure this fantastic DVD will rekindle your interest. I remember seeing it the first time round (shhh...I'm showing my age! lol)

I'm sure you'll enjoy watching this and I hope it will rekindle your passion for astronomy.

Steph

Excellent timing! Congratulations, you must had been absolutely stoked when you opened the package!

Also confirms that these magazine competitions are geniune.

Enjoy them Amanda, the night sky will always be there, so get out when you want, not when you feel obliged to. :icon_eek:

thanks Mick, let's hope us 'non-winners' are on a roll now :icon_eek:

Thanks SP :) I was really confused when I opened the package, took me a few seconds to realise what was going on. And you're right, the sky will always be there - it's just so frustrating when the scope is sitting there and you KNOW all those lovely objects are up there, just hidden by that horrible grey stuff :( We've all been there ;)

edit: got my fingers crossed for you Paul :)

Wey hey :icon_eek: well done Amanda, I won a bottle of wisky once when I was a youngster in the RAF, it lasted about 5 seconds as everyone wanted to toast my winnings :)

Regarding flagging Astro enthusiasm (I think thats how you spell it, me mobile dictionary has done a runner) all I can say is thank goodness for the Forum, at least you can judge every one else's feeling on the weather and no you are not alone.

Well done, nothing like a pick me up.

Was toying with picking that DVD up myself, I watched it with my Dad when I was little, my Dad had a copy of the book that accompanied the series and has since given it to me, maybe its time to dust it off....

Well done Amanda, at least I am pleased I know someone who won a DVD of Cosmos. I entered too, but it seems I lucked out.

Fabulous Series Cosmos, you will love it. Carl Sagan had a way that married him to the subject perfectly.

Ron.:icon_eek:

Archived