Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

jah79

Large ring around moon

Hi

What was the phenomenon on Saturday night with the large halo around the moon? Was it purely a local thing or visible over the whole UK/Europe/world?

I haven't seen that in ages and remember reading about it a long time ago.

Johann

Most likely ice halos caused by ice crystals high in the upper troposphere. So I suppose it's a local phenomena, but a lot of the country had similar weather yesterday so it might have been widespread.

The folklore round here stipulates that a ring around the moon indicates precipitation within the next two to three days.

The local weather forcasting methods seems to work, too!! :icon_eek:

Hi Johann,

What you describe is caused by millions of ice crystals - that occur in high clouds - acting like miniature prisms and refracting the light around 22 degrees, causing the halo. You can find some info on it here - it's a very pretty sight, isn't it :icon_eek:

My understanding is that as it is dependent on the type of cloud that is around, it is dependent on your location - not everywhere has the same type of cloud in the atmosphere. I could be wrong though :)

Hi Johann, ice crystals cause both lunar and solar halos and some of them can get quite complex (be very careful of your eyes when viewing or imaging a solar halo).

Take a look at Les Cowley's site for info/images on halos and a lot more. I've known Les for a number of years... top-notch Gent. :icon_eek:

Seeing the same in Seattle this morning 12:30 am ... ring is dark and about 200 times the size of the moon. A first for me.

Ive seen this phenomenom before and wondered what it was, i now know. It is pretty spectacular hey

I love to see this phenomenon, on a cold, clear night. Another of natures wonders.

Edited by yeti monster

I've really only seen this once. It was about a year ago. The lunar halo was HUGE. It must have been about 20 times the diameter of the full moon.

I have only been lucky enough to see it once about 10 years ago and it was an amazing site.

I was out for an hour saterday just before the clouds came rolling in and the halo was visable from my location too, very large halo at that..

Yeah I wondered what that was. Thought it was something to do with clouds. Didnt realise it was ice, or that so many other people would see it.

Looked pretty amazing