Narrowband

Tal 2 m owners RA rotation

Has anybody noticed what direction the main worm wheel is/should be rotating the RA axis looking face on when the motor is running(as mine is,nt up and running yet).Leaving out the gearbox and looking just at the motor with the spindle face on mine runs in a anti-clockwise rotation.!!...so....with the final drive gear(small gear/cog with clutch as photo) attached to the complete assembly(motor/gearbox ) shaft what direction should this gear rotate looking face on..then am i right in thinking that the RA Mount moves when Polar aligned from left to right in the Northern Hemisphere.!!Save my sanity someone !!..Thanks Rob

post-17442-133877407694_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy,So is this the small clutch that should not be overtightened ? The main Worm wheel clutch i imagine should be fairly tight in order to compensate for the weight of the mount and the Telescope.Rob

Thanks Andy,So is this the small clutch that should not be overtightened ? The main Worm wheel clutch i imagine should be fairly tight in order to compensate for the weight of the mount and the Telescope.Rob

Yes.

The main worm gear clutch should be tightened enough so that there is no slippage of the RA arm, but not too tight that you cannot move the scope by hand from object to object. This is the beauty of the design of this mount.

As to the small clutch, the trick is load up the mount with the scope as normal and make sure the big worm clutch is adjusted properly. Then with the small clutch loosened off, switch the motor on. You'll probably notice the clutch slipping. Start tightening up all 3 screws by a similar amount(perhaps a quarter of a turn) until the clutch starts to turn the worm and stop there. You'll notice, the tighter you make the clutch the harder it will be to move the hand knobs. Nothing you can do about that. The knobs should still be usable though. In theory, you should be able to use the knobs with the motor running. I like to switch mine off, to protect the gearbox reduction unit, when centring up an object with the RA knobs.

Andy.

Got another email in today from the factory,regarding a replacement motor for the MT-3S mount.

Bit of a saga, but getting closer to a purchase. Looks like it'll be a western union money transfer, so I'll need to look into that.

After weeks of emails to and fro, I'm guessing that Tal are not set up for easy sale of bits 'n' pieces ;-) (Scopes and other large items are probably easier transactions)

Possible? Yes, but slightly frustratingly drawn out, compared to the way we Westerners are used to instant sales etc.

Considering the very low cost of the item, I'm delighted by the politeness of received emails.

Andy.

ps: Really can't complain about the cost. 400 roubles(£8-34) for the new motor.

Archived