observatory

bvbknighton

I've decided to build my own observatory. I want a permanent home for my c6r-gt. I have room for a 10'X10' building.My first concern is the pier. Homemade or commercial? Have'nt decided on having a roll-off roof or a commercial dome. Does this affect the pier design?

thanx Bill

For the pier - go homemade!! I've bought the steel from a local "fabricators" (Company that makes fire escapes, stairs, fancy gates etc) so far for about £40. I'm shaping the edges and drilling the holes, then back to the fabricator for him to weld it together (cost unknown!) then I'll paint it. Overall, less than £100 AND I get a pier that is exactly to my specification / height etc.

As for the observatory, Roll off roof is A LOT cheaper than a dome. Try Linnhe: Home of Mark S Baines & Linnhe Observatory for a good description of a 10x10 metal shed conversion or the link in my signature for my own copy of linnhe, but only 6x6.

Hope this helps.

As I see it, the pros and cons of different pier designs are:

Steel

pros - someone else can build it for you; possible to modify at a later date; you can take it with you if you move house.

cons - relatively expensive; more prone to vibration (can be solved)

Concrete

pros - cheap; very strudy (if well built)

cons - self build; difficult to modify; you can't take it with you.

I hope this helps.

Archived