SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky-Watcher Evostar 120ED DS-PRO APO vs Sky-Watcher Explorer 190MN PRO

I would say the 190 as it is an astrograph and if you want a scope for imaging in the future, it should fit the bill.

It is heavy though and I would think an EQ6 Pro is the minimum type of mount for it.

Allan

I agree with the refractor over the mn190, its a much easier scope to handle whatever purpose you put it too. As i side issue and i hope this does not get classed as off thread but do not discount the meade 127 triplet as its great for visual and a lot will testify that it is a very underrated astrograph as well. its colour correction is said to be better than the 120ed

I agree with the refractor over the mn190, its a much easier scope to handle whatever purpose you put it too. As i side issue and i hope this does not get classed as off thread but do not discount the meade 127 triplet as its great for visual and a lot will testify that it is a very underrated astrograph as well. its colour correction is said to be better than the 120ed

TBH Steve I've read reviews where the opposite was said as well. I think its fair to say theres not much in it....;)

I've read visual reports on the MN190 and it appears not to too bad at all but as people have mentioned, it is heavy (EQ6 would be the minimum mount) and they can be tricky to collimate.

I recently bought an ED120 and so far I've got no complaints with it both imaging and observing.

End of the day though aperture is king and whilst the ED will give you a 'nicer' view, the MN won't be too far behind at all in terms of astethics but will show you more. If you're interested in the MN, have you thought about Intes Micro Mak-Newts?

Tony..

Tony you can,t say that aperture is king :(

Its quality that counts not quanity,just think of those lovely

contrasty views your getting with your 120 ;)

I have to agree with Gaz to as from the reviews ive read its

normally the 120 that just beats the 127 not sure how a

Borg 125 would compare though :p

Brian

As NickH said, for AP the 190MN is definitely very "stonking" indeed! I'm amazed this telescope hasn't made a much bigger splash with APers, honestly. Visual observing-wise, it is much better than I expected.

For wide-field AP, the 120ED is surprisingly hard to beat without spending five times as much. Visually, it too is "stonking", and I'd rate it above the 190MN in this respect. A great all-round instrument.

The various 127ED telescopes have failed to impress me as much as the others mentioned, so far. The 120EDs surpass them in most respects, usually. They are a nice piece of kit, don't get me wrong, but the 120ED is without a doubt the better of the two, optically.

For visual observing and a bit of AP, widefield in particular, I'd lean toward the 120ED. For hardcore AP, including DSO work, with just a little visual observing on the side, I say go for the 190MN, without reservation.

Tony you can,t say that aperture is king :(

Its quality that counts not quanity,just think of those lovely

contrasty views your getting with your 120 ;)

I can Brian :p. I own a 6" Mak-Newt with a tiny secondary for those APO-like views that MN owners go on about and I can safely say that the ED120 gives great views, no question but the MN does show a bit more albeit there's hardly anything in it. A 7 1/2" MN even with a large secondary is going to be better on DSO's than the ED120, it's physics mate!

Tony..

• 4 months later...

Here is my thread http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/97534-gsov120edvsnt.html where I tried as best I could show from an imaging view point 3 scopes of different type and aperture on the same subject.

For sheer detail the SN won IMO but I love the 120ED, it is a great scope and I will use it for imaging especially at star parties, mind you I would still like to have a MN but no more scopes for me.............for a while.

• 1 year later...

I have been playing with the new Atair Astro 115 triplet which comes with dedicated flattener for imaging. It will be reviewed in Astronomy Now but I can tell you it's well worth a look. Very well worth a look, in fact.

Olly

mmm looks very interesting

how about the IKHARUS 102mm F7 ED APO Refractor????

any thoughts anyone?

Can I suggest you start a new thread on this topic ?.

I notice you have posted this question onto a couple of active (but rather old) threads but it may not be noticed there.

You will get more replies if it has a thread of it's own ;)

Archived