SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Windows 7

Ant

It runs fine (a little slower than XP) on my ASUS 900 Celery box... i have since reverted back to XP though, as that lappy is now just acting as an autoguider/EQmod control for the mount, and i coul dnot justify the £60 for the "honour" of running that on Win7

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After using 7 for a couple of weeks now I wouldn't go back to XP. The performance improvement is much better than I expected. I was going to replace the motherboard/CPU but I'm now not going to bother for a while, don't feel any urgent need for it.

John

It runs fine (a little slower than XP) on my ASUS 900 Celery box... i have since reverted back to XP though, as that lappy is now just acting as an autoguider/EQmod control for the mount, and i coul dnot justify the £60 for the "honour" of running that on Win7

Indeed. No point in fixing what isn't broken. My two home PCs and laptop are still churning away on XP, with no immediate need to change. Same reason - they work just fine at the mo.

If you do plan on using XP inside a Virtual PC, you need to make sure the processor you are trying to run the code on has "processor-based virtualization support". A lot of the Atom processors (N270/280) don't have this support although the later 5xx series do I believe - you'd need to check for the particular processor in your PC/notebook/netbook.

Windows7 XP Compatability mode is Windows Virtual PC and as such it WONT SUPPORT USB Devices
Take a look here: How to Work with Windows XP Mode | Windows 7 Tutorials

Archived