Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography

Hi

I got a 150mm reflector on a CG-4 mount, I'm thinking about getting a DSLR. I've done some research and it's a toss up between the Cannon 450D and 1000D. (Any comments on the pros and cons of either of these are welcome.)

My question is, will my scope set up be adequate for some of the nearer and brighter DSOs, like the Orion Nebula?

I've seen Andromeda through my scope but it just looks like a cloudy blob. Will my set up get a better defined image with a DSLR plugged in?

I'm just trying to find out what to expect?

Cheers

Rich

you will definetely get a better result with a camera, as long as the object is tracked and it has a fairly long exposure on it... a ccd would be even better, but costs a lot more.

hope this helps

Dave:)

There really isn't a lot in it between the two cameras for astro use... But the differences are:

1) 450d has spot metering - good for some daylight scenarios..

2) 450d is 12 Mp compared to 10 Mp, good for print size, not sure it's worth much, although there are fewer pixels in the same area on the 1000d and I've read this can be beneficial

3) 450d is 14 bit, 1000d is 12 bit... not a lot, but it's a little extra on the 450d.

Both cameras have liveview, both seem to be equally good at noise control (they use the same DIGIC III processor, so that's not really surprising) ...

Given the price difference, the 1000d is cheaper, if budget is tight, then the 1000d will be a good un. If not, the 450d might give you slightly better with the 14 bit, but the 500d is going to be better still..

There have been good results posted on here using both cameras... Both appear to be easily modded for Ha.

The only other thing I would say, if you are planning on using the camera for more than Astro, find a shop with both and hold them, get a feel for them in your hand.

I can't comment on the scope or mount though ... ;)

HTH

Archived