Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Baader vs Skywatcher query

Steve922

I'm thinking of buying a general light pollution reduction filter. There are two candidates on this page...

Light Pollution Reduction

The Skywatcher is just under half the price of the Baader so its very tempting. :-)

I'm not a fan of blindly assuming 'You get what you pay for.' In the past, sometimes I have done, sometimes I haven't so any comments from experience to help me decide between these two filters would be very welcome.

TIA,

Steve

Seben do a good LP filter too, just to throw another one into the mix.

Seben might make lemons for reflectors, but their EPs, Filters and (so I'm told) refractors are all very good.

I've got the LP filter and found it pretty good from just o/s south London. It helped me track down M31 and the Dumbell.

I find that the Baader is best as a planetary and lunar observing filter. In fact it's the only one I use now for lunar observing as it gives a nice natural grayish colouration. It's also the best filter I've ever used on Jupiter as it brings out real detail.

The SkyWatcher is fine for DSOs though, and at the price they charge for it it's a bargain.

John

Thanks guys. I had a feeling from the start that the Baader one will be better but what I was asking is 'How much better?' If its not more than twice as good (whatever that means! :-) ) then I'd probably be bettr to buy the cheaper one and put the difference towards some other improvement - an OIII or a colour filter perhaps?

Steve

It's more a case of the two filters are different in what they can do. I use the Baader for lunar/planetary and then use an OIII or UHC-S filter for other things.

As to which one to get, to me it comes down to if you want it purely as a light pollution filter for DSOs get the Skywatcher but if you also want it for lunar/planetary as well get the Baader.

John

Archived