Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Latitude Bolts of EQ5 Mount

Deneb

Hi

I got a problem with one of my Latitude Bolts on my old EQ5 Mount, I was just about to sell it & thought to give it a quick check over. Unfortunatly one of the bolts is really stiff & refusing to turn.

Any Ideas folks ???

Cheers

Nadeem

Hi Nadeem,

I've read about the EQ mounts 'bendy bolts', I think some people just upgrade them from the start to save hassle later. I'm just checking mine now and then - so far so good. Have you checked - astrodevelopments for EQ accessories? I'm sure they do heavy duty ones that solve the problem, they'll be more expensive, but it's an added selling point. ;)

Cheers

I have the old ones from the HEQ5 - I'll have to make sure that I can find them still - but if they'll fit you more than welcome to them.

Might make the mount usable while you're waiting for the Astrodevelopements ones...

Let me know.

Ant

• 1 month later...
Right - I have taken neck of the mount apart & found the problem :

Now to buy a set of new latitude bolts. Then relist it for Sale.

Hi - I'm about to tackle the same problem but need to dismantle the mount to get the old bolt out. I'm guessing I just need to prise the caps off and the rest will become obvious. But before I do that, is there anything I need to know?

Cheers, Neil

Have you looked here for replacement bolts?

www.stagonset.co.uk

I replaced the azi and alt bolts on my EQ6 with M10 Stainless steel socket head button screws. Both sets came to around £8. If you dig around I'm sure you can find the spec, and having 'allen key' sockets means there is significantly more leverage than even a moddest sized hand grip.

They're also a good source for replacement dovetail bolts as you can buy individually if necessary.

HTH

Michael

An alternative way, if you didn't like the idea of dismantling it, would be to turn the bolt so its bent end is closest to you as you look down the mounting hole. Hold it firmly and thread a bolt down the mounting hole to carefully bend it back "straight"

Archived