SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Shakey CG4 Mount

Caveman

I'm new to this forum and have just purchased a new old stock Celestron C4-R refractor and have been trying it out tonight on Jupiter, this is not my first telescope (in fact it's No. 6 !)

I was very impressed with the quality of the optics, could see five or six bands on the disk of Jupiter although the Great Red Spot was not on show. I also star tested the scope and found it to have a perfect diffraction ring!

The only thing that lets this scope down is the rather shakey CG4 mount, the slightest breeze would have the image wavering, I wonder if there is any way to take some of the free play out of the scope, or is it something that I am just stuck with?

All the same not bad for just £179 !!!

I managed to get rid of a lot of the loosness in the mount by tightening a large nut that was inside the dec shaft.

Ok, so it's not the most stable of mounts, but the optics make up for it, very contrasty and very little chromatic abberation, none in fact when at a perfect focus.

Was this advertised at David Hinds ?.

Does the tripod have steel tubular legs or box section aluminium ?.

Paul

Paul, David Hinds did have some for around £150 but they all sold out,;) I got this one from College Cameras, they said "last few left" but found out later it was "the" last one.

The legs are box section aluminium.

Paul.

Paul, David Hinds did have some for around £150 but they all sold out,;) I got this one from College Cameras, they said "last few left" but found out later it was "the" last one.

The legs are box section aluminium.

Paul.

It's par for the course to experience focus jiggles to some degree or other.

I have a EQ3-2 and use it with a 120mm F8.3 refractor.

Some say fill the legs with sand but I have decided to live with the wobbles.

Even my 150mm F8 wobbles on a GC5, it's not so much the mount that's the problem but the fulcrum effect produces flexing at the dovetail mounting point.

You could try filling the hollow legs but ultimately a CG5 or EQ-5 would minimize the problem.

Paul

Archived