SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Nailed it!! Report 29/30 June

Kain

First thing to say... I FOUND THE RING!!!! M57 is mine mawahahaha...Right now for abit of composure. After looking for it since I had the scope, I finally found the blumming thing! Using a 9mm EP, I pointed the scope in generally the right place and after a few mins I could see this tiny grayish glowing ring!! I was extremely pleased with myself. I also took a peek at the double double.

Then I had a shock of my life, a police van drove passed, pulled over and the copper said 'Thats abit drastic for looking up at that top window!' I was like erm.. Then he laughs and the two PC's got out the van and was looking down the scope at Jupiter, there were dumbfounded on what they could see!

Anyway after about 10 mins they had to go back on patrol, so I carried on..

Next up was old faithful M13..I went straight to it and took a chance with the Rubbish 4mm EP..I could see quite a few stars this time, something I ain't seen before as I used a lower mag EP. Another first! I had a look at M92, but really it's just a whiter M13, still nice to see.

Off to Cygnus now, M29 is nice though theres not much to see, but it's fact you see it if you know what I mean. NGC 7000 showed up as a wedged shaped smudge in 6.5mag, oddly I couldn't see NGC 6992, but not to worry..

The after looking with the naked eye at it for ages, I realised Cassiopeia was what I was looking at..time to see the goodies!!

M103, and NGC 457 Owl Cluster bagged, couldn't really figure out the owl though..lack of imagination no doubt! I did look around south of Alpha Cas for M31..couldn't find it though as it was toward the LP town centre, does M31 get any higher?

Had a look in Ursa Major now, The Mizar system is always good to look out, Mizar being a double, then thats Alcor his mate :)

Still can't find M81/2..Its hard to judge the star map on how far away it is from the other stars in the con, so i left that one. I spotted M51 though, a nice little fuzzy though a 6.5mag, no arms or anything mind, just a fuzz..but I can say I have seen it..( I know its not in Ursa Major, but I think Canis Venatici would represent a [removed word] more than hunting dogs lol)

By then it was was 0:20, the sky seemed to be getting brighter so I called it a night and packed up..

I'm really pleased I finally saw the ring though, that was the main goal for the evening, so with that passed, it's another astronomical achievement for Kain :). Roll on the Dobs I say :)

Oh I almost got hit by a bat as well, he was about 6inches from my face, after a blumming moth!

Sorry for waffling on

Kain

Another really enjoyable report Kain. You are getting to be a wiz at star hopping. Glad you kept the plods entertained :)

M81/82 is a hard one using the finder scope and star hopping coz there are no good stars to point the way. They are pretty easy with a red dot finder though. Take a line from Phecda to Dubhe then continue that line for the same distance again. Then a tiny smidge to the L and you're there. Much harder using a guide scope though

• 3 months later...

Great night! I can usually come up with M81/82 immediately in dark skies. I trace a line from the lower left star in the blade of the plough, to the upper right star, and then extend that line the same distance, and put my red dot there. Then, in a 1.5 degree field, I usually find them right there.

Oh! I just noticed how old this thread is! Hope this helps anyone looking for the pair for the first time.

Archived