Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is this lead for??

I think I've picked the right section to put this in, apologees if not. Can anybody identify this lead for me, well what it does to be more precise. I think it came with a Meade LPI i bought a while back, but for the life of me I can not think what it would be used for....obviously one end goes into my laptop, and the other into the black connector (not sure what it's called)...but what would the connector go into??

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Image021.jpg

It may be for guiding, as that looks like a guide cable and a serial connector. Might be wrong as I've never heard of LPI as a guide camera, although the DSI does a damned good job in that role.

Does the RJ45 fit into the back of the Serial connector?

Ron.

EDIT:

Just to add, normally a B USB fitting goes into the back of the LPI Camera, so if it was to be used as a guider, you would need a USB cable with an A and B ends, also a USB to Serial converter.

Not as complicated as it sounds, but unless you DON'T anticipate guiding a telescope with the LPI, and assuming it can do that job, then those bits seem surplus to requirements to me.

Thanks Ron. Yes the RJ45 does fit into the back of the Serial connector. I know nothing about guiding, but will be interested in learning at some point as imaging is where I want to eventually go. The other lead that came with it goes straight into the LPI, with a USB the other end. So am I right in thinking it's the USB to serial converter that is required? ....I have no intention of using it yet, I'm just curious for future reference really!

No Chris, you don't need a serial converter. The lead supplied with the LPI is a USB with an A and B connector at each end. The B goes into the camera as you know, and the other end into a USB port on the laptop. The software will then do it's job of capturing the Images via the USB .

If your Laptop has a serial port, then you won't need a converter.

They are only required if your laptop doesn't have a serial port, and will then allow you to plug into a USB port instead.

I take it your laptop does have USB ports on it?

Ron.

Sorry I worded my previous reply wrong, I've used the LPI for messing about with, using the USB A - B lead, just for looking at the moon really.....and yes my laptop has 3 USB ports. When you mentioned about the converter I though it was needed for guiding or something (complete novice with this as you can see lol) ....because the lead I posted a picture of doesn't plug into anything, other then the RG45 going into my laptop, I couldn't work out what the serial connector was used for, what plugged into it or what it was plugged into?

Worry ye not:D That lead as you say, goes into the serial adapter in the picture. That goes into a serial port on the computer. The RJ 45 goes into the Adapter too. The other end goes into a port on the mount for guiding. Needless to say, for imaging, especially long exposure work, an equatorial mount such as a Skywatcher EQ6 Pro. is needed,

which has a guide port where that other end would plug into.

The LPI then becomes a guide camera, sending signals to the mount via the software whenever minute corrections to the drives need to be made to keep track of a guidestar, thus enabling your imaging camera which would be attached to another telescope, to produce trail free images. To sum up.:

The system would consist of your LPI as a guide camera. A guide scope. A guide capable mount, a telescope to which you attach an imaging camera. So you have two scopes on one mount. and two cameras. There is a whole raft of other requirements too, such as the software, filters etc.

All that is what lies ahead though, and I'm sure you will gather more Info as you progress towards that goal.

Ron.

Brilliant, thanks alot Ron. That's been a great help. I have a 200 newt, on a HEQ5, a Nikon D40 DSLR, the LPI, my laptop obviously, and have been looking at the threads on turning a 9x50 finder scope into a guide scope......so I'm just trying to get as much info as I can, with what I have available at the moment, and seeing where I go from there to start imaging......downloaded registax etc......but it all gets a bit confusing for me lol...so I'm approaching it all slowly, and reading as much as I can. ;)

As far as I can remember, the lead and adapter are for connecting your PC to a Meade LX200 mount or similar, for guiding while the USB lead goes from PC to LPI.

Dont think you will get it to guide on an HEQ5 without additional software /cables /hassle, but I am sure it can be done.

Allan

To me, it looks very much like the part of the Meade #505 cable connector set which allows you to connect the Autostar controller to the serial port of your computer in order to update the handset.

The cable also allows you to control the mount from the computer.

However, I am, as always, open to correction...

Lee.

Lee, I think your description of that lead and Connector are is the correct one. At least it is the intended use for it.

I remember now using it with a USB/Serial converter to update my 497 Controller with the latest firmaware, which seemed to be every few weeks. I hope Chris reads this, if he doesn't acknowledge this, I will send him a PM.

Ron.;)

Archived