1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

modified webcam

Abernus

Well I thought I had an idea of what I was supposed to be doing but I think I might of been wrong.

I have this webcam and thought as it was just collecting dust I would mod it for use on my Meade 4" reflector. I took the focuser ring off and the lens so the CCD? ( i thinks that right ) was exposed. I then put it back together and taped an old 35mm film tube over the end.

When I tried this at the weekend I could not focus in on anything. So I thought I might be doing this wrong. I just placed the webcam directly in to the aperture where the eye piece goes, I even tried using my 2X barlow in front but still no luck.

Any advice would be a big help as the moon will soon be back up.

A couple of things - obviously you remembered to cut the hole in the bottom of the film canister! ( Don't laught I've seen it done!)

If you are using the diagonal you may not be able to get close enough to focus.

Try it without the diagonal and use a 40mm extension spacer between the focuser and the camera. ( if you unscrew the lens from the front of the barlow you can use the empty tube as a good spacer).

Focus on a nearby building or tree just to get the settings.

A couple of things - obviously you remembered to cut the hole in the bottom of the film canister! ( Don't laught I've seen it done!)

LOL, yeah I cut the bottom of the film tube off and stuck this to the camera and used hte end with the cap on it to go in to the telescope. This way I can seal it off when not in use to stop dust.

If you are using the diagonal you may not be able to get close enough to focus.

Being really thick here, I am not sure what you mean by diagonal. Can you explain.

Sorry mate, just re-read the first post! You have a 4" reflector.

The diagonal etc is used on a Refractor - so this doesn't apply to you.

Interesting you can get the canister in that way. On the old black plastic ones the end with the clip cover usual goes onto the camera and the other end with the cut-off base goes into the focuser??!

I can only think you're not getting the camera close focus due to the size ( length) of the focuser.

When you use a low power eyepiece say a 20mm or 25mm - where does it come to focus relative to the movement of the focuser..

near in most inward ( ie towards the telescope tube) travel or further out?

The CCD chip in the webcam needs to be positioned close to the end of the focuser tube, when you remove the eyepiece, and don't touch the focuser. If you run out of distance the couple of options available are replace the focuser with a "low profile" version or move the main mirror up inside the tube a few mm to push the focus point further out.

I will put the telescope up today and wait for a clear day (it's a bit misty here) There is a transmitter areal with lovely red lights on it WAY over in the distance. I will use this and see where it gets closest to focus on the camera. Once done I will post results.

Just a note but when the camera is in the focuser tube the sensor sits about 10mm from the top of the tube.

Thanks for the help and advice so far.