California Nebula and Pleiades, from Kielder

Andrew*

I took this right after my Cygnus attempt. I was quite pleased to see a red patch appear on screen, not far from M45, so I framed them together and went for it. It is the rather large California nebula. I have never seen a pic with them together like this and I find they make quite an attractive pairing ;)

I stopped down the f/2.8 lens to f/4.5 and that seemed to perform much better.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=639&g2_serialNumber=2main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=669&g2_serialNumber=2

Camera: Baader ACF modified Canon 450D

Lens: 50mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss "Tessar" lens stopped down to f/4.5

Exposure: 39 x 60 seconds

Process: DeepSkyStacker Photoshop.

Mount: HEQ5 pro

***Sorry - put the picture back now***

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers :)

Stonking image Andrew, and good to see you again. Reckon it was the sausage sandwich for brekkie that did it!

Thanks mate! Yes, it did a good job indeed! ;) Was a pleasure to see you again.

Gary - absolutely! I was really happy I managed to come back at least with this and the Cygnus result.

Andrew

Thanks guys. The more comments I get about this, the more I feel good about it! They really do make a great pair!

I did some googling on it and found lots of great results, which have inspired me to get some more data on this. The following shot, in particular, shows what can be done with more time - picking out the dust that causes the black snake (in my image) in between the two objects, for example

2245190409_1a3ba93f55_b.jpg

Credit: California nebula, IC348, and Pleiades with EF85mmF1.2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for your comments, guys - glad it went down so well ;).

I've still to do a proper reprocess on this pic - my data's all with Craig at the moment. Perhaps I can pull off a cleaner result next time.

Mike, was a pleasure meeting you again. I much admire the work you do and would love to see some of your captures posted on the forum :(

Andrew

Archived