Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ashenlight

**strange sighting** what was it?! fireball?

Is this thread actually going anywhere ??;)

don't know - but I'm interested in the answers to Paul's questions...

I would have thought anyone interested in understanding/confirming what the thing was would appreciate as much information as possible. no?

ps maybe there is "new knowledge to be gained"

slow day at work - I found this on youtube.

one thing I didn't realise was that meteorites can come in quite slowly (the ones I saw were alway "blink and you miss it") so i guess there is time to go inside and get bins and come out and still see it (which, i must admit, I had doubted before).

ps - best bit about the youtube vid is reading the comments - dangerously addictive - there's all sorts of folk out there...;).

pps - deliberate "no comment" on "nit-picking"

what a spooky video, thanks for finding it kniclander ;) good to see you no longer think I am going bonkers thinking I had time to get the binos :)

what a spooky video, thanks for finding it kniclander ;) good to see you no longer think I am going bonkers thinking I had time to get the binos :)

hey I might be a sceptic at heart but I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong (i've had a lot of practice...:))

Nice link, I'd have to say that the bit where the meteorite is filmed from behind the clouds, about 5th in the comp is roughly the sort of speed I saw the one one on Friday traveling.

me too beamish, about 25secs in. It was alot more orange than that for me, and moved in an arc.

I wish this had been reported on local news or something. I doubt many people were out looking up at half 9 on a friday night though... apart from us lot ;)

I have a picture of this (i think) i was testing the bulb feature on my camera with a stone and some elastic tape and caught a strange wizzing thing that seemed to break up.

Ill post it some time this week.

Right,

I've just contacted the airfield at Cardiff International airport, there was nothing unusual reported there at that time on the 16th October. The operator did stress however that a fireball or a satellite burning up would show up as noise essentially and would most probably be ignored by the operator at the time.

All in all, the event does sound like a fireball.

All best wishes,

-Paul.

I'm interested in such sightings as I have in the past been involved in resolving their cause, shall we say :-) Can't help on this one.

Fireballs are just very bright meteors, they dont zig zag across the sky. The can leave trails though that can last quite some time, the best fireball i saw was around magnitude -12, this was one of the leonids soem time in the 90's, i think it may ahve been arounf 96. there was a bit of a outburst that year. this fireball left a trail that lasted about 10 minutes and drifted slowly across the sky, looking at it with binoculars revealed a pinkish orange colour and showed a corkscrew like pattern. I mentioned it to Patrick Moore at one of his talks and he said it was probably about the size of a tennis ball, which really amazed me that something so small can cause something as dramatic as what i saw! I dont know what you saw, sounds very interesting but im sure you can rule out a fireball.

Hi ashenlight and all,

I'm new here, and found the link whilst searching Google for reports of Fireballs on that night 3 years ago!

I too saw the fireball from a remote building near Sully in South Wales. I was staying with a friend who I had not seen for 26 years and was out on the balcony with a superb view South over the Bristol Channel towards North Somerset.

I do not remember the exact time, but it was around 9-30pm, I saw the fireball as it passed overhead streaking South, there was no way to estimate height and speed, but it was slower than the "normal" meteor and much much faster than a high level plane.

I watched it until far out over the Southern horizon, at the time thinking that if there was anything left it'd end up in the Bay of Biscay :)

The colours I saw were mostly red and orange, with a smoky tail, the apparent size was far greater than any other meteor or space junk that I've seen before, and brightness much greater than Venus. It was visible to me for approximately 10 seconds, maybe more, at least 4 or 5 times longer than the "usual" meteor, it went in a straight line as far as I could tell although I only saw it from after it had passed overhead.

It was absolutely not an aircraft, chinese lantern, or other man made flying object (except maybe space debris).

I am an Air Traffic Controller at Glasgow Airport, and have been in this career for 34 years, and have never seen such a sight before.

The only way that I could now describe the fireball, is to liken it to a flaming ball of red/orange fire probably still very high in the upper atmosphere and doing tens of thousands of miles an hour, the brightness and apparent size only made it seem lower, because when it vanished from view to the South it was still way above the distant high level cirrus that it lit up.

That was a fantastic night for me in many ways, and I will never forget the Fireball that sealed the perfect evening for me :)

Thanks for sharing

Dai