SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

**strange sighting** what was it?! fireball?

I've just come inside (consequentially ruining my night vision) to find out if anyone saw this.

It entered the atmosphere around the south west. It seemed to curve in and then exited in the south. It was BRIGHT ORANGE through the binoculars it had a distinctly 'fizzy' appearance and to be honest I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's path across the sky was not in any way regular. It zig-zagged here and there. It took a while to cross and fade out, I had time to run in and get my binoculars. It faded out slowly until there was nothing there to see.

My sister thought it was a burning plane. But the binoculars just made out a glowing 'orb' with what I can only describe as 'flame like dust' coming off it.....

help!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like it... I guess if it's an oddly shaped lump that was spinning awkwardly on the way in, it would appear to veer as it travelled through the atmosphere. I didn't see it, but as seeing high enough at the moment is a tad difficult ...;)

I think I might of seen the same as you. I can't say exactly what time it was, but it will of been about 9:30 ish. I was out with my DSLR taking some pics to stack (still procesing) and something caught my eye. I only saw it for a short while. What I did see was a bright orangeish streak, it was very bright.

I only just caught it before it vanished, and thought nothing of it as I thought it was just a bright meteor that my eyes tricked me in to thinking it was brighter than it was.

Anything entering the Atmosphere from space would trave at a speed that would give no time to go indoors for Binos I would guess. I know there are grazers from time to time, so that's a possibility. I'm thinking a man made piece of gimickry though.;)

Ron.:)

Anything entering the Atmosphere from space would trave at a speed that would give no time to go indoors for Binos I would guess.

Yes but re-entering space debris doesn't move anything like as fast as meteors do ... and even meteors are slower in the evening than in the morning (earth's orbital motion makes a big difference!)

I think I might of seen the same as you. I can't say exactly what time it was, but it will of been about 9:30 ish. I was out with my DSLR taking some pics to stack (still procesing) and something caught my eye. I only saw it for a short while. What I did see was a bright orangeish streak, it was very bright.

I only just caught it before it vanished, and thought nothing of it as I thought it was just a bright meteor that my eyes tricked me in to thinking it was brighter than it was.

It was 9:30 (ish) with me too. By the time I got the binos on it it was considerably fainter...

I did think about the possibility of it being one of those pesky lanterns, but I've seen them before and it definitely wasn't one. Whatever it was, it was beautiful ;)

Yes but re-entering space debris doesn't move anything like as fast as meteors do ... and even meteors are slower in the evening than in the morning (earth's orbital motion makes a big difference!)

Yeah! you're right, and I suppose there is enough orbit decaying junk up there for it to have been a bit of that.

Ron.

I'm not really sure on impacting the ground, I watched it for aslong as I could through my binoculars and it just seemed to 'fizzle out' and fade away... whether or not it was skidding through the atmosphere at such an angle that prologned its descent, and then made it through and dropped somewhere, I have no idea.

'mental' describes it really well, everyone who was in the house at the time was looking at it, they all though it was a plane on fire. To me, it looked like an extra large, extra 'flamey' meteor. I didn't hear any sound.. but I can just imagine it roaring.

I wonder if it was an ignited part of an aeroplane that had fallen - you hear of ice blocks falling from commercial aeroplanes - probably the onboard curry was a little too hot for customer's tastes...;):)

Seriously, it sounded exciting to watch - I was out at midnight last night and missed this spectacle. :) Wasn't it a fabulous night overall?

Archived