Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ashenlight

**strange sighting** what was it?! fireball?

I've just come inside (consequentially ruining my night vision) to find out if anyone saw this.

It entered the atmosphere around the south west. It seemed to curve in and then exited in the south. It was BRIGHT ORANGE through the binoculars it had a distinctly 'fizzy' appearance and to be honest I've never seen anything like it in my life. It's path across the sky was not in any way regular. It zig-zagged here and there. It took a while to cross and fade out, I had time to run in and get my binoculars. It faded out slowly until there was nothing there to see.

My sister thought it was a burning plane. But the binoculars just made out a glowing 'orb' with what I can only describe as 'flame like dust' coming off it.....

help!!

Sounds like it... I guess if it's an oddly shaped lump that was spinning awkwardly on the way in, it would appear to veer as it travelled through the atmosphere. I didn't see it, but as seeing high enough at the moment is a tad difficult ...;)

whatever it was John, it was an awesome sight. It will stay with me forever. It was my sister who spotted it at first, it seemed to get brighter and brighter - way brighter than the ISS and burning orange like hot coals. I'm chuffed ;)

Could it have have been one of those flying candle lantern things?

I say that because the Diwali festival is due to take place this weekend so there is a good chance of a few of them being about.

I think I might of seen the same as you. I can't say exactly what time it was, but it will of been about 9:30 ish. I was out with my DSLR taking some pics to stack (still procesing) and something caught my eye. I only saw it for a short while. What I did see was a bright orangeish streak, it was very bright.

I only just caught it before it vanished, and thought nothing of it as I thought it was just a bright meteor that my eyes tricked me in to thinking it was brighter than it was.

Anything entering the Atmosphere from space would trave at a speed that would give no time to go indoors for Binos I would guess. I know there are grazers from time to time, so that's a possibility. I'm thinking a man made piece of gimickry though.;)

Ron.:)

Anything entering the Atmosphere from space would trave at a speed that would give no time to go indoors for Binos I would guess.

Yes but re-entering space debris doesn't move anything like as fast as meteors do ... and even meteors are slower in the evening than in the morning (earth's orbital motion makes a big difference!)

I think I might of seen the same as you. I can't say exactly what time it was, but it will of been about 9:30 ish. I was out with my DSLR taking some pics to stack (still procesing) and something caught my eye. I only saw it for a short while. What I did see was a bright orangeish streak, it was very bright.

I only just caught it before it vanished, and thought nothing of it as I thought it was just a bright meteor that my eyes tricked me in to thinking it was brighter than it was.

It was 9:30 (ish) with me too. By the time I got the binos on it it was considerably fainter...

I did think about the possibility of it being one of those pesky lanterns, but I've seen them before and it definitely wasn't one. Whatever it was, it was beautiful ;)

Yes but re-entering space debris doesn't move anything like as fast as meteors do ... and even meteors are slower in the evening than in the morning (earth's orbital motion makes a big difference!)

Yeah! you're right, and I suppose there is enough orbit decaying junk up there for it to have been a bit of that.

Ron.

Maybe it was another piece of whatever went into that chaps roof just recently. But then I don't think that would explain the zig-zag motion. ;)

yup I saw that orange fireball too, certainly wasn't a lantern ! I personally thought it was quite slow as meteorites go but still v fast compared to other stuff !

surely it was a UFO?

I watched a show about NASA employees being told to doctor photos and cover things up.....

so it must be true! :-)

if its motion was erratic it suggest it was not under the sole influence of earths gravity.....

whats your best guess amanda?

i have seen a fireball before. It moved slowly and in a fashion across the sky. And it was bright......

I think it was a fireball, going on some accounts of sightings I've come across on the internet. Whatever it was it took my breath away. ;)

the one i saw was pretty mental.

do you think this thing may have impacted the ground?

i was just waiting for a distant roar when I saw my one go over the horizon....no sound

I'm not really sure on impacting the ground, I watched it for aslong as I could through my binoculars and it just seemed to 'fizzle out' and fade away... whether or not it was skidding through the atmosphere at such an angle that prologned its descent, and then made it through and dropped somewhere, I have no idea.

'mental' describes it really well, everyone who was in the house at the time was looking at it, they all though it was a plane on fire. To me, it looked like an extra large, extra 'flamey' meteor. I didn't hear any sound.. but I can just imagine it roaring.

as it turns out chunks of rocks from space are pretty valuable....

something to do with them being 4.6billion years old.

speaking of rocks, I fancy a Rocky........(raids biscuit cupboard)

I wonder if it was an ignited part of an aeroplane that had fallen - you hear of ice blocks falling from commercial aeroplanes - probably the onboard curry was a little too hot for customer's tastes...;):)

Seriously, it sounded exciting to watch - I was out at midnight last night and missed this spectacle. :) Wasn't it a fabulous night overall?

yes it was SP, best night for ages... I hope tonight is like it too, I've left my scope set up downstairs just incase ;)

I did see a picture of a fireball trail that had remained visible for a long while, and during that time the atmospheric movement had caused the trail to look zig zagged.