SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography beginners help!

Robzy

I have a Canon EOS 450D and a Sky-Watcher 130P. I'm interested in starting astrophotography and have a T mount and adapter to connect the two.

Where is the lens in this set-up? I'm having difficulty getting anything from my photograph other than over exposed images. Am I correct in assuming all lens from both the camera and telescope have to be removed in order to attach the camera via a t mount?;)

When the camera is attached how can I check if the subject is in focus?

I've tried using Live View on my Canon EOS 450D for this but I wasn't able to see anything, just darkness.

Robzy, you need to set the camera to Manual. Set the shutter speed to 30s or bulb, and the ISO to at least 800 or even 1600 (I will normally use 1600 for this bit). Then pick a good and bright star, use Liveview and zoom in all the way.

1) Either centre a bright star in the middle of an eyepiece then attach the camera.

2) Using liveview at x1 wind the focusser from one end to the other until a star comes into focus. Centre it and then up Liveview to x5 or x10 and fine focus. A BHatinov mask is a great heklp to get actual focus.

If you do not want to use an eyepiece then you need to ensure that you can centre a bright star in hte finder scope.

Andy

For anyone starting out in imaging I always highly recommend Steves (steppenwolf) book, "making every photon count" it is well written and loads of pics to explain the basics and could save you a lot of time and grief......oh and possibly money ie not spent on the wrong things!

Archived