Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Socket head screws / bolts

MikeP

• 2 months later...

I'm trying to find M10 or M12 bolts to upgrade the Altitude bolt on my EQ5: I plan on tapping it out. But I can't seem to find anything suitable.

I was looking for 12.9 grade steel with socket head but everything seems to have a shank on it making it of no use!

Any help appreciated! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Strange sounding name but a good company to deal with. Cheap and quick shipping. For model makers really but many screws etc in smaller sizes.

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/screws-nuts-washers-c-39_144.html

There was a company called giantcod and much to my surprise they seem to have been replaced by giantshark. I assume it's the same people but web suggests they are now dearer than they were.

John

-

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slightly off topic

I needed some long 60mm cap head bolts (for use with allen keys) but when I received them I found the thread only went up to about 25mm whereas I hoped they were the full 60mm length

After a moments thought I dug out my gear wrench tap and die set and used the M5 die and allen key to extend the bolt threads to the full 60mm length - easy but slow

Being lazy I remembered my drill was advertised as being suitable for tap and die work, so I added a m5 screw bit to the drill and I was able to turn out neat full length 60mm bolts with ease in a second or so

I guess if I had some whitworth dies I could modify a close metric bolt ?

Bolts have a partial thread up the shank (usually one third the length of the shank).  Screws have a full length thread.  So you need "Socket head screws" of the required diameter and length.  Screws for wood (usually called woodscrews) are a different thing all together and are not used by engineers!!  :cool:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Gone are the days of the local ironmongers unfortunately, where you could buy nails by the pound, in eco friendly paper bags!

Rob

When I was a kid I used to buy nails by the quarter from our local hardware shop. Not because I needed them - I just liked the ritual and the smell of the shop and the nails. Maybe I'm just weird :grin:

Get Stainless too Mike, or at least Adonised. You don't want then rusting up on you Mate.

Ron.

If you want rust resistance get stainless not plated socket head screws/bolts. Won't go into the boring detail but socket head screws are normally made from a very high tensile steel and plating them can make them brittle.

You can get stainless steel hex headed screws from this is the Wigan branch but they are a chain. They sell them from singles to as many as you want and are very competitive.

Brabbin & Rudd Ltd

Leigh St, Wigan, Lancashire, WN1 3BE

Tel:  01942 242933

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• 6 months later...

If you are London based, the most excellent Clerkenwell Screws are brilliant. Very knowledgeable and helpful and stock most matric sizes. No online shop as far as I know however. 

5 mins walk up from Farringdon station. 

When I was a kid I used to buy nails by the quarter from our local hardware shop. Not because I needed them - I just liked the ritual and the smell of the shop and the nails. Maybe I'm just weird :grin:

They tended to have a distinct smell when you walked in the door, plus the paraffin fragrance...

• 6 months later...

I use Kays Fasteners on eBay, a good range of stainless steel nuts and bolts which you can buy in small quantities, postage free and a good service.

Prices are sensible too. My daughter wanted to attach some casters to a couple of boxes, and she needed 32 nuts and bolts in all. It would have cost 15 quid for zinc plated items in B&Q; cost from Kays, under a fiver for stainless!

Ian