SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Powering a HEQ5?

Recently bought a HEQ5, I thought a power tank I had kicking around would be fine, but it's given up the ghost.....so I was looking through an old box of wires and found a 'Master Plug A.C - D.C Adaptor, Input - 240 Volts ac 50Hz, Output - 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, 12v DC. Current - 1200mA'.

Would that be ok to use if I put it on 12v, i'm reluctant to plug it in as i'm not really versed in currents etc...so wanted some advice before I do?

Any help appreciated. ;)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the HEQ5 needs 2A whearas yours is 1.2A.

This is similar to my situation, I've ordered an HEQ5 but I've no power tank, and don't want to lug a dirty great battery around, so I'll be looking for a 12V 2A tip-positive plug-top PSU.

Dave

Ideally it needs to be 13v DC (same as you get from a car battery).

It's centre positive - some of these multi voltage adapters have removable ends...

Also you need to be able to supply 2AMP - the multi adapter thingy that I have didn't give out more than 500ma (half an amp).

The HEQ5 will not run on 500ma.

I use a mains => 12vdc adapter from maplins and it works OK (it will give out up to 5a).

Hope that helps.

Ant

Ideally it needs to be 13v DC (same as you get from a car battery).

It's centre positive - some of these multi voltage adapters have removable ends...

Also you need to be able to supply 2AMP - the multi adapter thingy that I have didn't give out more than 500ma (half an amp).

The HEQ5 will not run on 500ma.

I use a mains => 12vdc adapter from maplins and it works OK (it will give out up to 5a).

Hope that helps.

Ant

Thanks Ant, I'll go and get myself a new one, along the lines of what you are using. Cheers!

That's what I thought Dave, ref: 2A. But when I put skywatcher power pack into google quiet a few came up which say they power a HEQ5, and they are 1.2A. So I'm confused!!
I think the original HEQ5s used a lot less power. So maybe that is what they are refering to.

NigelM

Sorry sorry sorry... I've assumed you're talking about the PRO version.

are we talking about an HEQ5 or a HEQ5PRO.

The synscan (goto pro version) needs 2amp.

The non goto version need nothing like that - even 1.2a is way overkill for the non goto version - it's 8 x D cell batteries from memory.

Ant

Sorry sorry sorry... I've assumed you're talking about the PRO version.

are we talking about an HEQ5 or a HEQ5PRO.

The synscan (goto pro version) needs 2amp.

The non goto version need nothing like that - even 1.2a is way overkill for the non goto version - it's 8 x D cell batteries from memory.

Ant

Right, thanks, it's non-goto. When you say 'overkill', do you mean it will do it damage or just that it's more then adequate? as you can see, current isn't my strong point lol

I'd strongly recommend you invest in a couple of 20Ah gel cell batteries and an electronic charger. They are reasonably lightweight and can be carried in one hand. One for the scope and one for the other bits.. you can recharge during the day and your ready to go the next night.

Mine are almost three years old and still functioning 100%.

The powerpack I had lasted six months then died!!!

The standard HEQ5 (non goto) doesn't need 2A.

Nothing like it.

Ant

Oops! I should have read post #9 properly ;).

However, if the OP decides, in the future, to upgrade to the goto, then he wouldn't need to upgrade the PSU if he went for the 5A at the outset.

Just a suggestion.

Steve

Oops! I should have read post #9 properly :).

However, if the OP decides, in the future, to upgrade to the goto, then he wouldn't need to upgrade the PSU if he went for the 5A at the outset.

Just a suggestion.

Steve

I will upgrade to goto soon, so will probably get 2 x 5A gell celll batteries, one for the mount and one for anything else.

Thanks for all the help everyone - been useful and appreciated. ;)

Hold up Chris, if you're gonna upgrade to GoTo pretty soon then either get a large gel pack battery, < 80Ah or larger eg marine or leisure type battery or get one of the Maplin 13.5v regulated bench supplies as suggested ealier as least 5A.

2x 5A (Ah ?) batteries won't last 5mins

Karlo

Chris, I think you confused 5A with 5Ah.

5 amps is the maximum draw on the power supply that Parallax was talking about.

5 amp hours is how many amps per hour the load will draw. Divide this into the capacity of the battery to see roughly how long you will get. So, a 20Ah battery would give 4 hours drawing 5 amps per hour....

Chris, I think you confused 5A with 5Ah.

5 amps is the maximum draw on the power supply that Parallax was talking about.

5 amp hours is how many amps per hour the load will draw. Divide this into the capacity of the battery to see roughly how long you will get. So, a 20Ah battery would give 4 hours drawing 5 amps per hour....

Thank you Daz, I was wondering what the difference was - this is probably school education level but I didn't have a clue. I do now! ;)

I can get through a whole nights observing ( weather permitting!) on the 20Ah battery. I honestly don't know why so many amateurs waste their money on those powerpacks... maybe they look sexy???? When you pull them apart you're lucky to find a 17Ah battery inside......

Archived