Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Dob bases?

GordonCopestake

If the ABS pipe is for pressure use, as opposed to drain type pipe, then the end caps should be a tight fit. The pressure type pipe usually has the Durapipe brand name on it in the UK. Sanding the stuff works OK but is tedious to get a nice running fit. I would expect that the drain type (thinner wall) would have rubber seals in the end caps which you might have to remove.

Captain Chaos

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was far too confident to think it would just work hehe, the bearings overhang the sides of the frame by about 20mm! I'll have to work out a system of extending out the supports, but then my entire telescope weight is hanging on those supports. Hmmmmmm, back to the drawing board!

Grrrrr, i phoned Orion Optics today to see what the lead time was on a "real" dob base for my SPX200. Was told 3 weeks wait, which is fine. They also quoted me the price of £263 which shocked me as it says £210 on the website. Apparently the £210 is JUST the base and the bearings are extra. I mean ffs, who sells a rocker box without the bearings?!

A little slow to be honest. I'de like to blame the heat, but i've just been lazy the last few days. I have all the pieces i just need to put it all together. A clear night once in a while might give me some enthusiasm but apparently it's thunder and lightning from here on in.....

Nice link CC, cheers!

Unfortunatly the dob idea has gone out the window at the moment as i can't sell my other bits to make up the cost of the SPX200 so it's gone back on the market. I'm not disheartened though as i think i'll end up getting a larger (10") dob some time in the near future. No hurry as the dark isn't back yet.

Archived