SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jones 1 Pegasus Planetary Nebula.

johnh

SPX350 F4.53, EQ6, ATK-16HR, TS-9mmOAG.

This is extremely faint pn radiating mostly O3 with tiny Ha patch below annulus.

This is one of the faintest pn around so I tried my new Astrodon 3nm O3 filter and it worked brilliantly in bringing out contrast. This pn is 332" wide and 12th mag with 15th mag central star seen as the blue star in the central group of stars. There are not many images on the web of this object so am pleased with result, pretty noise free with Astrodon filters.

OIII 3nm=8x15mins unbinned.

Ha 5nm=9x10mins 2x2binned.

RGB=5x3mins unbinned.

Thanks, JohnH.

SPX350 F4.53, EQ6, ATK-16HR, TS-9mmOAG.

This is extremely faint pn radiating mostly O3 with tiny Ha patch below annulus.

This is one of the faintest pn around so I tried my new Astrodon 3nm O3 filter and it worked brilliantly in bringing out contrast. This pn is 332" wide and 12th mag with 15th mag central star seen as the blue star in the central group of stars. There are not many images on the web of this object so am pleased with result, pretty noise free with Astrodon filters.

OIII 3nm=8x15mins unbinned.

Ha 5nm=9x10mins 2x2binned.

RGB=5x3mins unbinned.

Thanks, JohnH.

that's a nice image. It would take considerably longer to reach the same SNR at a more aggressive image scale.

one comment; the noise doesn't arise due to the filters, it is a function of the camera, and in particular the quality of the sensor adn the cooling. SNR is widely misunderstood in the amateur astro imaging community and I am preparing a treatise to explain it properly.

stay tuned

Archived