SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The way light travels.

But "ripples in spacetime" are gravitational waves, not electromagnetic ones.

In the early days of quantum theory there were attempts to explain wave-particle dualism by supposing that there were particles riding on waves; a later version of this was Bohm's pilot wave theory:

Pilot wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the Wikipedia article says, "The de Broglie-Bohm theory is now considered by some to be a valid challenge to the prevailing orthodoxy of the Copenhagen Interpretation, but it remains controversial."

In the Copenhagen Interpretation you've got things that exhibit wave-like or particle-like properties under particular circumstances, but they aren't one thing or the other, and there isn't a physical model for the waves (i.e. something that is vibrating).

So light isn't considered a vibration of anything.

I still get a headache thinking about that 'theorem' about enclosing light inside a mirror lined box..

Is the light still there and does it bounce around there forever or is it dark inside?

Ouuuch!!!!!!!

Steve

Suppoose that two equal energy photons are released in opposite directions from the centre of a box that is a perfect cube. If the box is perfectly reflecting on the inside and perfectly non-reflecting on the outside, the box is dark form the outside. If, however, the box is put on a scale, the box is found to weigh more than when no photons are bouncing around inside!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is it not correct that light exhibits properties of both particles and waves?

An intruiging concept, what is light.

what is time.

The big bang, black holes

in the absense of doing any proper astronomy i have spent much of my time reading about the big bang, as well as particle physics.

These concepts are like studying yoga, one needs to clear their minds i think before going there.

That said, i think Brian cox's book called what does E=MC2 mean is an excellent text to help here.

i am gibbering on again, see what 24 hours of trying to figure out dark matter does to you?

I need the pink ones i think!!!

Archived