Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Travelscope 70

I first used a lightweight photo tripod from Cullman (I forget the type) and a similar Manfrotto. The heads could not readily be replaced, so I then went for a heavier option (OK for bus and train, less for hiking) of using an EQ1 tripod in alt-az mode by pointing the polar axis straight up, and doing away with the counterweight. Ideally I want a carbon fibre photo tripod with a mini-giro alt-az head (the latter is only 1kg in weight).

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all,

I have just got one of these as my first scope. The handy travel element was important too. Just used it to get a good view of Jupiter and 5 moons and could make out a couple of red bands. Pretty happy for a first go.

I did, however, immediately wonder if they were other lenses that could be used. I have noticed a few people talk about the Barlow. Could someone please let me know which lens would be best to improve the scope? Size, ref number, that sort of thing. I have not got a clue at the moment, but excited to start learning. Thanks for your help.

• 3 years later...

I know I'm late to this thread, but I was just wondering if anybody has tried putting in a better diagonal and some "real" eyepieces into this scope?  

The reason I ask is that this scope is cheaper than an 8x50 finderscope - at least it is here in the US, where Amazon is selling it for $49.95!  I was thinking that if the objective is decent, I could use this as both a finder AND a small wide-field scope, to "counteract" the very limited field of view on my Mak.  It looks like it has a standard Vixen/Synta dovetail mount on the bottom of the picture at Amazon:  

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-21035-70mm-Travel-Scope/dp/B001TI9Y2M/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

What do people think of this idea?  Any ideas on how to go about mounting it onto my scope?  

Thanks.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just slightly changing the subject as the thread's been inactive for a few weeks now. I would just check that you are indeed getting the full advertised 70mm aperture, as the baby brother 50mm version is actually stopped down to 20mm!

Here's an interesting review of the smaller 50. I'm not suggesting that the 70mm will be the same, but if you own one of these then I would just check...

http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/CelestronTravelscope50.htm

Yours Steve

• 1 month later...

What's people's thoughts on piggybacking this scope with a larger reflector? I want to use this for imaging but use my main reflector to observe what I'm imaging.

Would it be too heavy? I know I'd have to rebalance the main scope

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived