New bit of sky

martin_h

The fastest and surest way to kill an unwanted tree, is to "ring bark" it.

Basically a complete section of bark removed from the tree will kill it. Some trees are easier to do than others. For example, on some trees, a rope tied around the trunk may be enough to sever the bark sufficiently if it is moved back and forth.

Obviously I am not condoning the destruction of trees, merely pointing out what can happen. Some trees have what is known as a TPO on them, and anyone ruining them is liable to a fine, prosecution, and will have to replace them anyway.

A guy in the next town killed a 200yr old Beech this way. The fine was £2000.

Where I am building my new obsy is right up against the back fence where the neighbour at the back is growing Lleylandii and bamboo. I have already told him that I will be cutting back every branch or limb that slightly overhangs my garden, but am hoping that I can offer to top his trees for him at 12ft, giving me a better Northern view. As it is, I will have to wait until anything within Ursa Major/Cassiopeia is high in the sky to get pics of it. The trade off is that I now have a much better S view, and will be able to get all of Orion in view right down to Rigel, right past the meridian.

If I ever finish it......the timber company have delivered my wood to the wrong address today......

I am about to start my observatory and have the same problem with trees. Nextdoor has agreed to let me remove the tree blocking my Eastern views. And I am hoping the other neighbours will let me do a bit of thinning out as well.

David

kills the tree. Takes 1-2 years though!
Copper Nails?

Steve

Another method is to drill a hole in the tree trunk and slowly pour Jeyes fluid in. Don't forget to put the wood shavings back in the hole after. This will (over time) kill the tree. Also in the process making it unstable and causing it to be removed for safety. Not that I have done this before :D

Archived