Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Catanonia

A dream come true : Been waiting for this : Horse Head Nebula

Ever since I picked up an astro book when I was young, the image of the horse head nebula fascinated me no end. No way did I ever image I could take such pictures until very recently.

Well I have been waiting all year, well since I started the hobby in May to get some images of Orion and his friends.

Problem I have is the houses and so last night was the 1st time that it was a clear night, no work the next day and I could stay up until 4am to shoot.

Well here is my 1st ever attempt a a proper winter target in Orion.

Shot with SkyWatcher EvoStar Pro ED 120 Diamond with EOS 350D modded and Astronomik CLS LP Filter.

About 2hours 40mins in 5 min subs with darks, flats etc added. All at a noise crunching 1600 ISO.

What do you think ?

Horsehead Small.jpg

Had a few problems with guiding on the QHY5 and ED80, hence the slightly elongated stars. Was a rush to get this shot in the available night sky I had.

Full size image is here

http://extraview.dnsalias.com/temp/Horsehead Large.jpg

Edited by jgs001
Correcting the embedded link..

Great job!

It is the same for me too, it is the HH that got me into this hobby.

BUT I still have not imaged it yet :D

Its out of sight from my home, but now I travel to image I will definitely get it this year!!

Cat, I'm no imager, but even I can see that you've come on in leaps and bounds.

Very nice image, well done.

You started imaging in May? Holy ****

Excellent work!!

Many congratulations on such a superb image...

It's a future target for me too - when it's clear and not on a 'work night!'

Clear skies and thanks for sharing....

Damian

A very nice Horse Head there, so smooth and colourful. I've not yet imaged this, waiting for it to clear the house to bag my first one!

Rich.

great hh cat lots of detail coming through

was the camera square in the focuser though ?

have had a few probs with being square, prob the reason.

ps has a little parcel arrived at yours yet :D

we have had postal strikes at the birmingham depot so i would not be surprised if not :)

A very good start indeed - the detail is coming out well in the object, despite the tracking problems.

I would recommend being a little less harsh with your smoothing regime though, to give it a more natural feel.

Whats causing those diffraction spikes by the way? I see your using a refractor to image with, and those don't look like added spikes.

Focus looks good as well!

Cheers,

Richie

Difraction spikes direct from image and not added. Guessing because the star is soooooo bright with all the gases around.

I added a very little bit of smoothing. Trying to get more data tonight, or even M42

Looks pretty I think, natural difraction spikes.

Good job Cat. You have made a lot of progress in a relatively short time. Keep up the enthusiasm, you have loads of it.

Ron.

Great image cat, think those diffraction spikes could be a reflection from within your imaging train.

This is a great first 'Horsey' - it is not for nothing that every DSO hunter wants to bag this one but we certainly don't all get the first one to be this good!

Well done; I remember my own first shot of this and the amazing sensation of realizing that this object truly does exixt, despite what searches in a large reflector would lead you to believe!

Olly

Very nice Cat, I've been toying with this imaging lark for about 5 years on and off and I still haven't managed to bag the HH yet.

I was hoping to have a go at it at kelling but the weather had other ideas.

Well done m8.