stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

A dream come true : Been waiting for this : Horse Head Nebula

Ever since I picked up an astro book when I was young, the image of the horse head nebula fascinated me no end. No way did I ever image I could take such pictures until very recently.

Well I have been waiting all year, well since I started the hobby in May to get some images of Orion and his friends.

Problem I have is the houses and so last night was the 1st time that it was a clear night, no work the next day and I could stay up until 4am to shoot.

Well here is my 1st ever attempt a a proper winter target in Orion.

Shot with SkyWatcher EvoStar Pro ED 120 Diamond with EOS 350D modded and Astronomik CLS LP Filter.

About 2hours 40mins in 5 min subs with darks, flats etc added. All at a noise crunching 1600 ISO.

What do you think ?

Horsehead Small.jpg

Had a few problems with guiding on the QHY5 and ED80, hence the slightly elongated stars. Was a rush to get this shot in the available night sky I had.

Full size image is here

http://extraview.dnsalias.com/temp/Horsehead Large.jpg

Edited by jgs001
Correcting the embedded link..
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job!

It is the same for me too, it is the HH that got me into this hobby.

BUT I still have not imaged it yet :D

Its out of sight from my home, but now I travel to image I will definitely get it this year!!

A very good start indeed - the detail is coming out well in the object, despite the tracking problems.

I would recommend being a little less harsh with your smoothing regime though, to give it a more natural feel.

Whats causing those diffraction spikes by the way? I see your using a refractor to image with, and those don't look like added spikes.

Focus looks good as well!

Cheers,

Richie

Difraction spikes direct from image and not added. Guessing because the star is soooooo bright with all the gases around.

I added a very little bit of smoothing. Trying to get more data tonight, or even M42

Looks pretty I think, natural difraction spikes.

Well done; I remember my own first shot of this and the amazing sensation of realizing that this object truly does exixt, despite what searches in a large reflector would lead you to believe!

Olly

Very nice Cat, I've been toying with this imaging lark for about 5 years on and off and I still haven't managed to bag the HH yet.

I was hoping to have a go at it at kelling but the weather had other ideas.

Well done m8.