SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

fitting filters to eyepieces

Right first off im a bit dense when it comes to mechanical things. Looking at my EPS and the scope I cant work out where a filter would screw in or fit. Just a nudge in the right direction would help. Got a moon filter from FLO on order so...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry Rob, I was perplexed by this when I first got my scope! :D There's so many 'bits' it's hard to know where the other bits fit in. As everyone has said, the bottom of the eyepiece is the opposite end you look through. Just pop the filter onto it (hold carefully so you don't drop it) and screw it on, just like screwing on a bottle top. Keep screwing gently till it feels stiff, then you know it is secured properly.

This is the same for all types of filters - moon filters, colour filters, nebula filters - you name it.

When you use a barlow lens the same rule applies - the filter goes into the eyepiece, then the eyepiece, with filter attached, slots into the barlow.

Thanks everyone its alot clearer now, just had to twig unsrew shiny barrel screw filter in then eP into filter then pop in. Learning with this you have to think backwards! I'll get there eventually.

You don't need to unscrew the chrome barrel - the male threads on the filters should just screw into the female threads cut into the inside of the bottom end of the eyepiece barrel.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you have said here !.

John

ok - but on the EPs I have at the moment have to unscrew the barrel sigh

If they are the ones that come with the scope, although they are fairly basic ones, they are threaded for filters as far as I recall (I've owned a similar Skywatcher scope). Unless they have changed the design since I had one .....

John

Right see what you mean now the inside of the barrel is threaded - - I didnt notice that so what you say is clear now - screw filter into back of ep then into focuser that make sense - tols you I 'm a mechanical numpty.

Right see what you mean now the inside of the barrel is threaded - - I didnt notice that so what you say is clear now - screw filter into back of ep then into focuser that make sense - tols you I 'm a mechanical numpty.

Don't worry - I've lost count of how many times I've been baffled in this hobby :D

Some things are just not intuative at all and there are precious few "instructions" as such !.

Cheers :)

John

• 3 years later...

hi,all im a total newbee at all this so forgive me for being thick but you only know if you know eh!,,,,anyway i bought a pair of tento 20x60 binocs with two moon

filters but for the life of me i cannot work out how to fit them . they are not threaded ,have tried to push them over eyepieces but no no no no......

please help me someone ...............................................aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just a tip when using filters, grip them gently and when you feel it stop, do not tighten any more or you may get yourself into the stuck filter syndrome, the more you try to grip distorts the frame on some and makes it stick faster still. if this happens a pair of those cheap cotton backed silicone rubber covered gloves come in very handy, gives a firm but gentle grip on the filter edge and it in most cases it will come lose :)

John.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

Another similar request for help with fitting a moon filter for the first time from an inexperienced telescope user. I have read this thread and other similar ones, but still am having no joy in solving my problem.  I have a Celestron Regal M2 100ED.  This has a 1.25" eyepiece, so I purchased a Celestron 1.25" moon filter. However I am totally baffled as to how to attach it:  when I unscrew the locking ring and withdraw the eypiece, the shiny metal tube that inserts into the scope body does *not* have a thread on the exposed end.  It is a short, approx 2cm, tube that fits over the plastic lens of the eyepiece and is threaded at one end - to attach it  to the eyepiece. But the exposed end is flush with the eyepice, and there is no internal (female) thread to accept the filter.   I cannot work out how to fit the filter, and am beginning to think a 1.25" filter is the wrong kit for this telescope. Any advice appreciated.

could you upload a pic? it sounds like it is indeed one of those rare eyepieces that don't have a filter thread. if using a diagonal, you could screw it into the nosepiece (the bit that goes in the scope) of that if it is threaded? I tend to use 2" filters and add them to the 2"-1.25" adapter rather than the eyepiece. again not all are threaded though.

Mmmm...  answering my own question here, but another look at Celestron's FAQs suggest maybe the Regal spotting scope does not accept filters at all, so that might well be the problem???

could you upload a pic? it sounds like it is indeed one of those rare eyepieces that don't have a filter thread. if using a diagonal, you could screw it into the nosepiece (the bit that goes in the scope) of that if it is threaded? I tend to use 2" filters and add them to the 2"-1.25" adapter rather than the eyepiece. again not all are threaded though.

Many thanks - the scope does come with a "T-adaptor" for attaching an SLR camera/lens, so I guess this might be a solution if the T-adaptor can also accept a bigger filter.

ahhh. sorry I thought it was an astro scope. I agree, you'd possibly need to modify the scope if you want to use with filters as this will presumably be designed for daytime use?

Yes - it is mostly for daytime use, but as it is pretty powerful and on a decent tripod i do like to occasionally look at the night sky with it too, however the moon filter would be good if I can find a way to use one with this scope.

absolutely agree, I was not in any way criticising it, just that it's not necessarily the best tool for astro use.

as with most things, I bet you'll find a way if you are resourceful :smiley:

it might sound daft but some people use sunglasses to view the moon. if there's enough eye relief it may be possible. personally, I don't use filters on the moon unless 50% or more illuminated. if you look for a while your pupil will close up and ease the brightness. looking at some images of your scope it seems to be able to accept standard 1.25" eyepieces. might be worth buying one/some as they will allow more options for astro use. not sure what the focal length of your scope is?

Archived