SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC281 Pacman Nebula in close...

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

Whilst at Sir Patrick's on Thursday night, I decided to setup the C8 for some narrowband imaging.

The best target I could fine was the Pacman Nebula, so I shot 25 x 5 minute subs through my Ha filter. It came out rather well, but I wanted to add some colour to the image, so I dusted off my old AP102 Pacman data from last year and combined my C8 data with that in MaximDL.

Here is the result - a nice close in view of the centre of the Pacman Nebula:

2009-10-08-NGC281-Ha38x402-OIII6x600-Process3CombinedData-Small.jpg

Full equipment/exposure details, and a full-sized version are available here: Pacman Nebula Details

Thanks for looking - comments welcome!

Cheers,

Richie

Oh.. you name dropper RJ :)

Nicely captured and processed closeup...

Peter...

Of course :D

Incidentally, which do you guys/gals prefer?

We have the following choices:

Black and White - just data from Selsey:

2009-10-08-NGC281-Ha25x300-process1-Small.jpg

False Colour - just data from Selsey:

2009-10-08-NGC281-Ha25x300-process2-falsecolour-Small.jpg

Reduced Green - Combined Ha from home and Selsey, OIII from home:

2009-10-08-NGC281-Ha38x402-OIII6x600-Process3CombinedData-Small.jpg

Reduced Blue - Combined Ha from home and Selsey, OIII from home:

2009-10-08-NGC281-Ha38x402-OIII6x600-Process4CombinedData-Small.jpg

(By reduced green/blue - what I mean is that I put Ha into the red channel, OIII into the blue/green channels. I then reduced the intensity of the 'reduced' colour using the levels tool)

Would love to know which folks prefer!

Cheers,

Richie

Thanks Camkorn, I was beginning to think I was a bit weird as I like the last one too.

Carol I think the colors of these things is one of the best bits of astro imaging. It's a bit like having the key to a secret garden you can never find if you just look through your telescope (that's a bit of mixed metaphor!:D).

• 1 month later...

Only just noticed this one.

I prefer the final coloured one, for the simple reason that it helps to reveal more of the structure of the nebula than the others. In mono it is hard to see much difference between the areas of grey, but when they are contrasting colours, the depth and complexity of the emission clouds really start to demonstrate what they are about.

And it's more arty :headbang:

Archived