SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

So where next

I have been playing around for some time with my Sony A350 on a fixed tripod and taking an amout of pics been stacking an processing etc and love it, I alos have some 10x50 binos to really see whats out there, So were next and im just not sure what kit to get and of course i want everthing.

I want undertake DSO imaging so thought about guided exposures and have looked at the Astrotrac system which looks really good, however i will still be needing my Binos if i get that, so i suppose an EQ6 ( i can do guided imaging with that cant I) then a scope to follow which i can use with my dslr and of course viewing as well. Budget wise I can get an EQ6 1 month and then get a sceop the next month, ive seen the eq6 prices and am prepared to pay them as in many ways the mount is crucial, so EQ6 follwed by a scope budget for the scope bing around 500\600 pounds.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Regards

John B

Good decision John - get the EQ6 and then worry about what to put on it.

If you buy an EQ6, I would strongly suggest you buy the version without the handset and use your computer to control it instead. It will save you a few quid. You'll need to buy an interface and cables to sit between your computer and the mount but you should still come out ahead. Talk to FLO, they can advise on which version of the EQ6 you need.

As for scopes, I'd recommend a small refractor for imaging and a Newtonian for visual. You could get an 8" SkyWatcher Explorer OTA for just under £250 and have £350 left for a refractor and accessories. Small refractors are relatively expensive compared to the Newtonian, so it is worth keeping an eye of the For Sale section.

Eventually, you'd be able (bit more cost) to put both scopes on the EQ6 and image with one while guiding with the other. You can't have too many scopes for imaging as I am discovering ... but beware, you'll need deep pockets.

HTH

Mike

Hi John,

Don't worry, a lack of punctuation is understandable when faced with your current dilemma. :D I know, because I'm in a very similar boat. I'm also edging (painfully slowly) towards affording an EQ6, having bought a budget refractor (see sig) and a dSLR, which I've been using as much as static, non-guided work allows.

I'll have to leave the scope advice to the many here who have experience with them, as Mike has just done. If you don't mind, Ill soak-up any and all advice they might give you. :) However, if you can stretch to about £900, the Skywatcher Explorer 190MN Pro (Maksutov Cassegrain) seems to be an excellent, affordable option for DS photography, or so I'm led to believe. It also has the added bonus of looking damn fine as well, although it won't leave you any change for other (inevitable) bits. It's quite high on my list of potential purchases.

However, if you can stretch to about £900, the Skywatcher Explorer 190MN Pro (Maksutov Cassegrain) seems to be an excellent, affordable option for DS photography, or so I'm led to believe. It also has the added bonus of looking damn fine as well, although it won't leave you any change for other (inevitable) bits. It's quite high on my list of potential purchases.

The MN190 is an excellent bit of kit and it has loads of advantages but it is big and heavy which brings it's own problems (makes it prone to wobble in windy conditions for example) and they can be tricky to collimate. I wouldn't recommend them for a relative novice for imaging, nor have one as a single scope solution for imaging. Mike's recommendation of a small refractor such as an ED80 is a superb starting point and will make your life a whole lot easier while you learn all the other skills you need to pick up.

BTW, it's not a Mak-Cass, the MN's are Maksutov Newtonians :D.

Tony..

Archived