SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

pst etalon tuning

Many thanks for the info which confirmed my suspicion, am now waiting for a clear day to attempt the fix. BTW I have also noticed that the solar image in this example is yellowish-orange whereas my own pst's are a reasonably deep red, all have the blue coating. Any comment?

• 10 years later...

Just a note:

The etalon in the PST is tuned by the adjusting ring applying pressure to the edge of the etalon disks. The "no pressure" setting/ tuning is just above the H alpha central wavelength, just into the Red wing. Adjusting the tuning ring applies pressure to the etalon and moves the CWL to the H alpha wavelength and then on towards the Blue wing.

Re-adjusting the pin position as per Maurice's notes just ensures the any initial pressure on the etalon is relieved and the etalon should then be sitting just above H alpha - this obviously will have no effect if there was no "initial pressure" being applied to the etalon.