Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope (80ED) slewed into the mount.... broken???

I'm devastated but hopefully someone will be able to help...

I was slewing the EQ6 over to Andromeda last night and before I knew ( I was sitting at the laptop) the SW 80ED slewed straight into the mount itself, I stopped everything as soon as I realised, I shut everything down and undone the RA lock to release it.

Checking the scope the crayford focuser now only works if the scope is out straight, if I turn it at all towards horizontal or vertical the end of the scope just slides out and the focusers mechanism doesn't stop it!!!

Can someone help me have I cost myself lots of money??

It's only the 4th time I've be able to use it too!

Thank you

I'd be surprised if there's major damage done. relax!!

The crayford focusser has two small chrome thumb screws on the base plate - one is to tighten the mechanism to stop the tube sliding out under load and the other to lock the tube in position while imaging etc.

Sounds like they have come loose; try re-tightening them, should solve the problem....

I'm devastated but hopefully someone will be able to help...

I was slewing the EQ6 over to Andromeda last night and before I knew ( I was sitting at the laptop) the SW 80ED slewed straight into the mount itself, I stopped everything as soon as I realised, I shut everything down and undone the RA lock to release it.

I wonder how many people this has happened to. It brings back memories of my 6" Refractor mounted on an Meade LXD mount. Like you I was panic stricken as the OTA headed towards the mount legs. OUCH :D

If Merlins sound advice does not work, post a pic of the focuser and we will see what we can do for you.

Thanks for the replies so far..

There is only one thumb screw on the bottom and that locks the focus tube in place! If I tighten that one then the focus wheels dont work anyway.

It's a SW Equinox 80ED if that helps and the diagonal that I had in it made contact with the mount just above the legs . The tube was extended half way.

Any more ideas??? please???? :D

I will try and post a pic when I get home from work or maybe a video if that would help?

I was beside myself last night, unscrewed the lens and then the middle portion of the scope but still cant get at or see any of the small wheels that drive the tube.

No there is no visible signs of damage and I've tightened the four silver screws at the bottom but no luck.

I am thinking there must me something bent inside but I have no idea how to take it apart, what screws I should or shouldn't undo !

I guess it's a case of paying someone a silly amount of money to fix it!?

I've spent the past few weeks ripping my EQ80 to bits, hopefully I can help

Underneath the focuser in the middle there is a allen screw that is bigger than the rest, this is what puts pressure on the roller and it's this roller that moves the tube in and out

The roller is still in place, if it wasn't the tube would just fall out of the end. Tighten this up slightly and see how you get on

Thanks

Euan

I'd be tempted to check the tension on the 4 allen key bolts under the focus tube. It doesn't look too damaged - you just need to figure out what has happened and compensate accordingly

These 4 bolts only hold the surround for the roller in place, you can take these off and still operate it, as long as the big allen screw is tight in, it shouldn't make any difference

I could kiss you euan seriously...:D

That makes perfect sense.. I just found instructions on taking it apart at GSO Focuser and did so.

I saw the silver rod that turns and drives the focus tube and I managed to take out the four wheels that were attached to the top of the inner tube and nothing was bent, everything looked OK... I put it all back together and for 20 seconds it was working... making metal on metal noises but OK. Then it went back to sliding as it pleased !

But now I come back to read your post about that screw in the middle of the four silver ones and it makes perfect sense in its job and what it does ! Only problem I dont have a allen key big enough:icon_salut:

So it's Homebase at 08:00 in the morning to pick some up and give it a try.

I will let you know further if that works.

Should imagine its nothing more than something out of alignment, my ED80/EQ1 arrangement that I took to SGL4 for my son blew over and the focuser didn't work. A quick stripdown and rebuild cured whatever problem had occurred.

:) WOOT IT WORKED :)

Sorry couldn't get on sooner my wife wanted to go shopping after I got the Allen Keys..

It does make a screeching noise but hey, it works. I will see about greasing that part of it.

Thank you O'wise Internet people, I bow before you.:D

Archived