Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mains Power Adapters ?

Herakles

Looking for info for a mains adapter unit to run EQ6 , dew heaters etc . Assuming it would be an Invertor or is it something else. ???? Would be used with a mains hook - up for Caravan/Camping site . Have the usual Power tanks but want this as well .

Pete

Pete

Definitely NOT an inverter - they take low voltage DC and 'invert' that to AC at the appropriate level - 230v in the UK

What you need to power your mount, dew strip etc is a power supply unit (PSU) which takes 230v AC and provides 12v or so suitable for the kit. If you're using them in the open, rather than in an observatory, the best - or more importantly the safest type are the small sealed units which output at around 12v, sometimes a little higher, with a current of say 1.5-2 amps for a mount. Bench PSU's are great in dry conditions eg in an obsy or supplied via a longish lead from say a garage but if there is any chance of moisture contact eg by placing them on from the ground, they can be lethal. 230v and moisture do not mix well!

Steve

Pete,

I became paranoid about using mains outside, particularly when there was heavy dew. From time to time I'd get "little tingles" - not mains, I know what that feels like, but it did get me thinking.

My complete set up (laptop, mount, cameras, USB hub, dew heaters) can now be run from 12v batteries. I chose to use two 85aH leisure batteries rather than a single 110aH.

TBH it is is no more inconvenient to carry two batteries to my set up than the run an extension lead plus RCDs and there is less to trip over.

It was not cheap but what premium do you put on your welfare?

Mike

Pete,

I became paranoid about using mains outside, particularly when there was heavy dew. From time to time I'd get "little tingles" - not mains, I know what that feels like, but it did get me thinking.

My complete set up (laptop, mount, cameras, USB hub, dew heaters) can now be run from 12v batteries. I chose to use two 85aH leisure batteries rather than a single 110aH.

TBH it is is no more inconvenient to carry two batteries to my set up than the run an extension lead plus RCDs and there is less to trip over.

It was not cheap but what premium do you put on your welfare?

Mike

This is the route I'm eventually going to take. Safe and secure both in trip hazards and your llife. But Mike why two batteries instead of one?

Hi Doc,

The thinking went as follows:

• I wanted to be sure I'd have plenty of capacity, so my initial thought was for a 110aH battery.
  • A 110aH battery is quite heavy. An 85aH isn't light but is more manageable for an ageing chap with a dodgy back. So I started thinking about getting two.
  • The laptop consumed most power so using one for the laptop and one for the rest of the kit seemed the best split.
  • I have the laptop on a table with a battery underneath. The other battery sits under the mount's tripod. There is one USB cable (no power cables) between the table and the mount. This reduces the chances of me tripping over leads.

I've enough capacity for two nights of imaging without recharging. If (fat chance) they are consecutive and I leave the kit out, I just swap the batteries to even out the use.

I'm sure others would do it differently but it works well for me.

Mike

Maplin do a series of bench power supplies - I have the 5a version myself. Runs my EQ6, dew straps, cameras - no problem.

Whichever one you get, make sure its regulated (i.e. constant voltage)

13.8V Regulated Mains Power Units : Bench Power Supplies : Maplin

I use exactly the same in my observatory, if your going to use outside make sure its in a moisture proof box and plugged into a good quality RCD.

Electricity outside is fine as long as you treat it with respect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived