SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie buying first ever tent

Hi there - so not only am I new to Star Parties (and love them) but also extremely new to the whole "camping" thing. I'm starting from total scratch and whilst I have a tent for the Telescope, have nothing for me.

So, could any of you help me with some basic advice ?

I've spent a couple of days on the interweb on all the normal sites - o-bey, Amazon, tents-direct and so on ad-infinitum, but cannot seem to decide on what is "best"

Here's my shopping list

• Min of 1500HH (see, I'm getting the lingo already !) but 2000 would be OK
  • Built in Groundsheet - perferably one that doesn't let the 8 legged creatures in.
  • Inner tent - of course - with anti-insect bits
  • Tall enough to stand up in - I'm 5'10" - strongly desired.
  • Some sort of Porch - with groundsheet if possible
  • Good ventilation - windows would be nice
  • Colour ? not fussed
  • No of people ? - well it'll be 2 max, so the more space for all my rubbish and stuff, the better. I don't fancy a tent that I cannot "breathe" in
  • Taped Seams would be nice (essential ?)

I've looked at Vango and Gelert and seem to be narrowing my field down. However the one I want Vango Venture 500 is out of stock.

I've also seen the Hi Gear Atakama

Absolute MAX budget is £70 (or is it..)

So, I'm new at all this. Any one got any bright ideas ? I do hope so because if not, the next SSP MkII is at risk ! Thanks for all your help people

Steve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mick - I'm all tented out....going from brand to brand... what did you get ?

I can't remember. Tried to find my purchase on E-bay but it only goes back 60 days. I think it was a Vango.

Me too..*

I've now reached the sad depths of reading reviews of tents. How do you work this out ?

"Rubbish - leaked, not recommended"

vs.

"Perfect, kept us dry and cheery, would have paid double for it "

:D:icon_scratch::)

*but it did make me smile !

Hi there - so not only am I new to Star Parties (and love them) but also extremely new to the whole "camping" thing. I'm starting from total scratch and whilst I have a tent for the Telescope, have nothing for me.

So, could any of you help me with some basic advice ?

I've spent a couple of days on the interweb on all the normal sites - o-bey, Amazon, tents-direct and so on ad-infinitum, but cannot seem to decide on what is "best"

Here's my shopping list

• Min of 1500HH (see, I'm getting the lingo already !) but 2000 would be OK
  • Built in Groundsheet - perferably one that doesn't let the 8 legged creatures in.
  • Inner tent - of course - with anti-insect bits
  • Tall enough to stand up in - I'm 5'10" - strongly desired.
  • Some sort of Porch - with groundsheet if possible
  • Good ventilation - windows would be nice
  • Colour ? not fussed
  • No of people ? - well it'll be 2 max, so the more space for all my rubbish and stuff, the better. I don't fancy a tent that I cannot "breathe" in
  • Taped Seams would be nice (essential ?)

I've looked at Vango and Gelert and seem to be narrowing my field down. However the one I want Vango Venture 500 is out of stock.

I've also seen the Hi Gear Atakama

Absolute MAX budget is £70 (or is it..)

So, I'm new at all this. Any one got any bright ideas ? I do hope so because if not, the next SSP MkII is at risk ! Thanks for all your help people

Steve

Hi Steve.

I know this is way over your budget, but this is what I use for going away with. It's only the two of us and the scope plus bins, but with all the bit's and pieces that we take with us, cooking, heating, sleeping gear, etc, you'd be suprised at how much room it all takes up. I'm not saying you need a tent this size, it is a bit big, but it gives us room to move. Argos has a good range of tents and gear. That's where we got our's from.

Buy Coleman Arinos 8 Person Tent. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Also, this is absolutely necessary for stopping the wind from blowing the scope about and keeping the chill off you whilst observing.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3402234/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CSports+and+leisure%7C14419152/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419152%7CCamping%7C14419397/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419397%7COther+camping+accessories%7C14419416.htm

Steve we have the Khyam as you saw at Salisbury and we won't be using it for the coming event as we've blagged a caravan off some mates :D

You are more than welcome to use it at Sixpenny Hanley if you don't get sorted by then - may save you rushing in to a purchase you may later regret? Just let us know and we'll chuck it in the caravan, no worries.

Steph

Dont get a tent that is much more in size than you need... 2 people can keep a 3 person tent nice and warm... and still have room for gear, but you will feel the chill no matter how good your other kit is in a 6 or 8 person tent... One with a good gap or porch between inner and outer is good for keeping boots and bits dry but away from sleeping area...

Steve

Steve

I little bit of friendly advice here.

Any tent you buy should be no less than 2000mm Hydrostatic Head if you want to stay dry in a really wet weather situation (you should go for the highest HH you can get for your money)

Any tent you buy should be no less than 2000mm Hydrostatic Head

Appreciate the advice.. I have read that the Army consider anything above 700mm to be Waterproof so in that case, I would have thought 1000 or 1500 would have been save, however.... I take your point. Like Telescope mirrors and lenses you can never have too much !

In point of fact, all the ones I've been looking at are 2000.

Thanks again

It sounds random but go to your local halfords store i was in there getting some bulbs for my car the other day and the tents were all on offer as it isnt the summer anymore. If your lucky they will still have some and you might be able to get a better spec one for your budget! :D

Any tent you buy should be no less than 2000mm Hydrostatic Head

Appreciate the advice.. I have read that the Army consider anything above 700mm to be Waterproof so in that case, I would have thought 1000 or 1500 would have been save, however.... I take your point. Like Telescope mirrors and lenses you can never have too much !

In point of fact, all the ones I've been looking at are 2000.

Thanks again

not an expert in astronomy but do know a bit about camping. 1. 3000mm hh is the mininmum most campers in this country use. 2. avoid ebay own brands they are not designed for british weather. 3. 2-people plus kit and scope reckon you will need a 4-person tent minimum. 5.see your tent a pictuer on a web page doesnt tell the story. 6. stick to a main tent brand most of the tents in the world are made at the same factories quality control is better for the main tent manufacturers.. heres some suggestions. gelert do decent budget tents their designs are not the best. vango have a good range and a good reputation. coleman the same khyam pricey but good, outwell good kit high prices. aztec a lot of tent for the money but small distribution.for the description you gave I would suggest a 4-6 person vis a vis that gives 2-rooms and a small porch and for the price gelert, vango or aztec are most likely to have something.

Thanks everyone for terrific advice.. I put it all to use today and went to my local Blacks in Cheltenham. Because they are being evicted from that site, they had a 50% sale on.

So, I rummaged around the 20 or so tents on the floor and found an Outwell Arizona L - a largish dome tent, 3 man, 3000hh, 2009 model, all the gizmos and bits.

RRP - £179

Sale price £99 (wow)

So we went up to the till and mentioned:-

"I thought you said everything was 50% off ?".

"Yes it is. Yesterday , it was £99, and now it's (pause while he swipes it through the till)

£49.99 "

:):eek:

Billy Bargain or what ? :D

I'm now the proud owner of my very first Tent. All the reviews look very nice and I'm one hell of a happy rabbit

First outing ? (apart from my back garden tomorrow PM) :-SSP MkII The Return of the Clan

Hey Mick - this thing comes with Plastic Pegs ! - I'm not entirely sure if that is good or bad but they look hyper strong.

PS - Was also in Maplins today, messing about with the peripherals for my dew heater set up :D [still on the drg board - I hit a crisis of planning]

Archived