Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

will it b clear tonight?

kniclander

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

despie my earlier fears it's turned out spot on here on anglesey apart from a bit of very thin haze / mist to the south which is limiting jupiter. milkyway is really clear overhead and the andromeda galaxy is visable to the naked eye despite my setting up right outside the back door rather than in the garden, so pretty clear in every other direction.

done my main aim for tonight which was reaquaint my self with aforementioned galaxy and work on my finding it as it was a bit embarassing the other week in work when someone asked about it and it took me ages to spot it in a pair of bins (though i blamed the security lights at work :D) also was first night out for the newt in about 6 months and i wanted to see how succesfull i'd been with the laser colminator i bought off here, very pleased with results (thanks rob ) going to watch tv / play cod 4 for a while then back out to blind myself with the moon and maybe a few other objects.

not sure what i want over the weekend as it's also the V8 supercar race from bathurst which i want to watch so don't know if cloudy and not bothering or clear and popping in and out is the best solution.

Seeing is really mushy here too. I can see Jupiter but no sign of the shadow :D

Helen

Helen I can see the shadow pretty clear here in Nottingham. Looks really good in the 16mm UWAN.

I was trying with the 16 UWAN too - but in an 2000 fl scope, so maybe a bit optimistic with the seeing... although actually your scope isn't far off that.. I think I need to look at my collimation!

Helen

I was trying with the 16 UWAN too - but in an 2000 fl scope, so maybe a bit optimistic with the seeing... although actually your scope isn't far off that.. I think I need to look at my collimation!

Helen

Well mine is 1829mm FL but then is double your aperture so that must be it. Shame as it was very nice to see.

It is still cloudless here in Wiltshire but the seeing is not good. The moon is washing everything out, yet it isn't high enough for me to view it from where I set up tonight *sigh*

At least I got a couple of hours in before it all went wrong :)

Think I'll put The Beast to bed now. I'll have to endure endless taunts from Dark Knight over wimping out if I do so, but my bed suddenly seems more attractive than failing to see what I'm trying to find :D

So it's goodnight from me.....

Steph

It did eventually clear a little and managed a few minutes between clouds, of a wobbly Jupiter.

Thats when I found my new 100ED was faulty! It looks like the focuser has received some hefty knocks during transit, turning the fine control knob feels like turning the shaft of an electric motor and the tube just slides out when pointing up, despite adjusting it.

Oh well, back to the shop!

Allan

Archived