SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II binoculars

starscy

I owned a pair but made the stupid mistake of selling them to buy some other equipment. Definately want to get another pair. They have great contrast. Also very sharp to the edge as they have built in field flatteners. I found that they were more like a pair of 80mm binos in the amount of detail that could be seen on Saturn for example. Very, very highly recommended.

The best price I've seen this week is £189.00, although some dealers are charging £299.00 :D for them.

John

Hi sorry for late reply. I have had 3x 20x60 PCF 11 'on and off' over the past 4x years. The do give a narrow 2.2 degree Tfov and a 'restrictive' Afov of 44 degrees. However the image is primarily sharp to edge with the last 5% being curvature of field. The image is primarily flat. The contrast and color fidelity is good. There are minimal aberrations and distortions. One noticable positive is the excellent internal secondary reflection suppression. The Pentax SMC coatings are of a high standard. They do need a mount to maximise there potential. One minor negative is that at 60mm and 20x there is some mild dimming of image - something you dont get with a 20x80 but of course the extra weigh and size of those is a negative. The Pentax 20x60 PCF 11's are recommended binos and are noticable for the very good optical and build qualities.

Chris

[This is my 'first' post on this site. I did join at the beginning of the year but life got in the way. I have been into astronmomy for 40 odd years and now collect various optical instruments. I have been more into binocular astronomy of more recent years and now have about 40 various large ones. I have done reviews on the C.N'.s forum under 'charen'. ]

• 5 years later...

Hi starscy,

I have a pair of these lovely binoculars. As the others say the optics are very good indeed, very sharp. I use them on a heavy duty tripod with red light led finder. My difficulty with them is that as I wear glasses to view I find I have to be very precisely lined up not to get false colour around objects. They have a great feature of having a locking mechanism on the centre focus so if you are the only user you just need to focus once and forget-very neat. I bought a replacement eyepiece cover that I could attach to the straps as it is easy for the unattached original one to fall off and get lost especially in the dark. The soft case they come in is adequate and you need to use the binocular straps to the carry the binoculars when in the case. While I use the 20x60's they don't get anywhere near the level of use as the Helios Apollo 15x70HR's.

Best regards,

Steve

Archived