Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LCROSS impact site

Starman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it will be visible from the UK but you'll need a largish scope. Personally, I'd give it a try whatever you've got as it's a one off event, never to be repeated again.

No - never considered putting a fan at the back of the scope.

Excellent capture Pete. I am so disappointed I'll be out of the house and away from my telescope at the time of impact. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to see the plume with my 5" scope but I was going to give it a go anyway. It would have been something to just be able to say I was looking at the right spot at time of impact!

Looking forward to photos of it, if the weather plays ball for us all.

We're planning on taking the 12" up to the edge of the Salisbury plain. Forecast says a few clouds and Stellarium shows the moon to be far enough above the horizon, so we might just be lucky! On the other hand.....

But it's got to be worth the effort, right? Imagine if we DID see it - how amazingly cool would that be?

Steph

What's the name of the crater where the actual Impact is to occur Pete. Is it Shackleton, or was that just a candidate among others.

Thanks for the Informative Image, it is a good one in spite of the poor conditions in which you took it.

Ron.:D.

Had a bunch of people standing behind me, watching my monitor. For me, its still exciting for when we see the results... for them, it was an anticlimax, no hollywood-style flash, explosion or dust plume.

Archived