Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece Calculator

pvaz

I'm hopping this will get sticked so try and keep the thread clean please. :)

Well it was raining last night so I made an Eyepiece calculator. I was doing it for me but I decided to have a little extra work and make it user based.

Current functionality:

In the "My Gear" menu:

- You add all your telescopes and say for each one the FL, Aperture and focusers size (2", 1.25" or both if you have an adapter).

- Then you enter all your Barlows, for each one you identify the magnification and size and what EPs it can be used with (2", 1.25" or both)

- At last you enter all your eyepieces, define the focal lenght, AFOV and size.

Press the "Results" and "voila" all the possible combinations for each scope/barlow/EP will appear magicly :D with values for FOV, Mag and Exit Pupil. You can export to excel or pdf to store locally or login at any time to add a new Eyepiece/Barlow or Scope.

To create an account you just need an email and a password. (Name is optional) You can use bogus info if you want.

Link is here: Eyepiece Calculator by pvaz

I attached 2 print screens of those 2 areas.

Hope you like it.

Just some notes:

- All measures for Aperture and Focal Length should be entered in mm (If you have an 8" scope enter 200 for aperture).

- Measure for the Eyepiece AFOV is in degrees as usual.

PS-> If you find typing errors or bugs pm me. (English is not my native language and I do some typos.)

• 3 weeks later...
Hmm.... one problem so far. I'm trying to change the FOV value of an eyepiece, but it isn't updating.

Seams the async ajax service crashed on the server.

I restarted it and tested on IE, Firefox and Chrome. Please try again.

Note: The export to PDF button is unavailable for now since the server admin blocks me from using some system functions I need. I'll have to figure another way to do it.

The export to Excel function works fine.

Fantastic idea! Is this likely to become a standalone prog?

Thanks! ;)

Ivor.

Can be. I'm very busy with a project right now and will be 'till late February. Then I plan to go 1 week to the Caribbeans, to get my head straight and operational with a "Rum based drinks" intensive diet :(. After that I'll take a couple of weeks to learn the latest technology in .NET based applications, witch is Silverlight 3. (may be on version 4 by the time since Microsoft never stops giving us programmers stuff to study.)

Silverlight applications can work as both a standalone or a web application and can run on any given Operating System, provided Microsoft already haves a pluggin in place for that OS.

This small application may be something of interest for my 1st steps onto the Silverlight world. (Though my wife already "commissioned" a database app for her architecture projects and items used on them...)

I'll keep you guys posted.

Archived