SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LCROSS impact info

RichieJarvis

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observe the LCROSS impacts!

Date & Time:

Projected lunar impact is on October 9, 2009 at approximately 11:31:30 UT (7:31:30 a.m. EDT, 4:31:30 a.m. PDT).

The impact time will be refined as the mission progresses. On the night of impact, watch the mission
and
pages for the latest updates.

Impact site coordinates are -84.675, 311.275 E. Download the Targeting Coordinates, Timing, and Finder Charts presentation for detailed information.

NMSU and MSFC have made finder charts available based on similar illumination and libration that we expect to see on the night of the impact.

11:31:30 UTC on 09/10/2009 ... hmmmm won't that make it a bit difficult from the UK ?

11:31:30 UTC on 09/10/2009 ... hmmmm won't that make it a bit difficult from the UK ?

I reckon that will be just before the moon drops to the horizon in the WNW in the UK.

I would think you'll need a good scope, a great W horizon and a very lucky sky to see anything but it would be great to watch the event live!

Steve

I wonder if anyone can help. I m having difficultly working out exact altitude of the Moon above the horizon at the time of impact. One program says 25 degrees, two others say around 8 to 9 degrees and yet another program says 4 degrees! I've checked that all the locations and timings are spot on (I think) ... HELP!

I wonder if anyone can help. I m having difficultly working out exact altitude of the Moon above the horizon at the time of impact. One program says 25 degrees, two others say around 8 to 9 degrees and yet another program says 4 degrees! I've checked that all the locations and timings are spot on (I think) ... HELP!

Would it help if you told us your location?

Dark Knight and I are debating taking the 12" to the top of the White Horse above Westbury - great Western horizon from there. And for once I don't have to be in work and therefore miss it totally.

I wish I'd had time to practice finding the spot before hand, but I only just noticed about this today - Doh!

Steph

When will it happen in the UK as I have been told its going to be shown live on NASA TV

Date & Time:

Projected lunar impact is on October 9, 2009 at approximately 11:31:30 UT

Isn't 11:31:30 GMT now 12:31:30 in the UK?

Date & Time:

Projected lunar impact is on October 9, 2009 at approximately 11:31:30 UT (7:31:30 a.m. EDT, 4:31:30 a.m. PDT).

Is that "Moon Time"? So we will be able to see the impact 1.3 seconds later? Or is that "Earth Time", so it will actually HAPPEN 1.3 seconds earlier?

Or does it really matter?

Is that "Moon Time"? So we will be able to see the impact 1.3 seconds later? Or is that "Earth Time", so it will actually HAPPEN 1.3 seconds earlier?

Or does it really matter?

it means it'll happen 1.3 seconds after the clouds have obscurred the view

anyone got a bet on about discovering water....

I read at NASA that water had already been discovered there (in August by the LRO) and that was the reason for this event - to confirm and presumably quantify a bit more.

Steve

Archived