Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TAL 2 M... OWNERS

Does anybody who has aTal 2 M please have a photo or diagram of the gearing assembled, and in what order, that runs the RA .When i recently bought the scope the gearing was disassembled cause one of the gears teeth had been slightly flattened by an over wrenched clutch.Hoping to find a dealer/supplier to replace...but...if anybody knows where they can be gotten please yell like crazy...My only other option is to try an upgrade of the motor..heard of a firm(name escapes my brain) in the USA that makes an alternative motor drive and from memory it was a mod from a Dob Drive that they manufacture..so..anyways please help !! i need to get my beautiful Tal 2 in sweet running mode..Thanks all :D

post-17442-133877403499_thumb.jpg

post-17442-133877403513_thumb.jpg

post-17442-13387740352_thumb.jpg

Hi, I have a Tal-2 but have never had it apart to this level to see what order the gearbox is assembled in. I take it these gears are out of the motor gearbox which outputs to the clutch unit. I have not used mine for a long time but can probably get to the mount in the loft and work out how it is assembled but it will be the end of the week possibly before I can do it.

Are all the gears OK to assemble and have no damage. It would be possible to get a company called HPC Gears to remake the gears if you supply samples but it is most unlikely to be viable from a cost point of view. I take it you know the motor is an AC motor (normally referred to as a clock motor) and not DC.

Out of interest are you a visual observer or do you wish to image with it once its repaired.

Brendan

Nice pic Jon.

Out of interest, anyone know when Tal moved away from brass to plastic??

The replacement motor/gearbox I got from ovl, were brass.

Again out of curiosity, what year of manufacture are your Tal's with the plastic gearboxes?

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: Huge, huge fan of this mount. Sure can take a load.

pps: Add a motor drive corrector and I'm sure this mount could take good pics. Not my scene tho.

Nice pic Jon.

Out of interest, anyone know when Tal moved away from brass to plastic??

The replacement motor/gearbox I got from ovl, were brass.

Again out of curiosity, what year of manufacture are your Tal's with the plastic gearboxes?

Cheers,

Andy.

ps: Huge, huge fan of this mount. Sure can take a load.

pps: Add a motor drive corrector and I'm sure this mount could take good pics. Not my scene tho.

Alongside the serial no it has the date 1996..Thanks for interest..Rob

Hi, I have a Tal-2 but have never had it apart to this level to see what order the gearbox is assembled in. I take it these gears are out of the motor gearbox which outputs to the clutch unit. I have not used mine for a long time but can probably get to the mount in the loft and work out how it is assembled but it will be the end of the week possibly before I can do it.

Are all the gears OK to assemble and have no damage. It would be possible to get a company called HPC Gears to remake the gears if you supply samples but it is most unlikely to be viable from a cost point of view. I take it you know the motor is an AC motor (normally referred to as a clock motor) and not DC.

Out of interest are you a visual observer or do you wish to image with it once its repaired.

Brendan

ok brendan and thanks..yeh have contacted a few gear makers suppliers in the hope but no positive reply as yet..it is only 1 gear which has been smoothed out and if the cost is viable i intend to have a few cOmplete sets made..ie; for problems like this and set should someone need it...but...heres hoping ! Yeh imaging is one of the reasons i went for the scope..Every else at this stage appears in working order the motor is running ok..Just the learning curve and then into the Void..but would appreciate any view and order of assembly of the gears..Many thanks Rob

Rob.

have you tried giving OVL Ltd a call to see if they have any motor/gearboxes sets on a dusty shelf in their warehouse?

That's where I got my replacement a year n a half ago.

Also Jon and I have both stripped down our mounts and cleaned/replaced the bearings on the RA axle, so if you need any further help, don't be afraid to ask.

Andy.

Rob.

have you tried giving OVL Ltd a call to see if they have any motor/gearboxes sets on a dusty shelf in their warehouse?

That's where I got my replacement a year n a half ago.

Also Jon and I have both stripped down our mounts and cleaned/replaced the bearings on the RA axle, so if you need any further help, don't be afraid to ask.

Andy.

Have contacted OVL asking for availibility so hope soon to get some reply..and ...and have sent the 6 plastic gears plus the main driviving gear(the one with the small shaft) to HPC Gears for a costing....They say they are able to produce these gears albeit at a cost ..so..fingers and eyes crossed it,s gonna be viable to get them done....One question... does anyone know the size of the flat head c/sunk screws that hold that assembly to the base of the housing and also the main back cover as a few are missing from the assembly...Will keep all posted as to progress of the Gearing...Ta All Rob:icon_salut:

Have contacted OVL asking for availibility so hope soon to get some reply..and ...and have sent the 6 plastic gears plus the main driviving gear(the one with the small shaft) to HPC Gears for a costing....They say they are able to produce these gears albeit at a cost ..so..fingers and eyes crossed it,s gonna be viable to get them done....One question... does anyone know the size of the flat head c/sunk screws that hold that assembly to the base of the housing and also the main back cover as a few are missing from the assembly...Will keep all posted as to progress of the Gearing...Ta All Rob:icon_salut:

The screws that are under the main housing, holding the motor assembly in place, are M4 and the back cover plate screws are M3.

I replaced all my screws with stainless steel ones with allen key usable ones, instead of slots.

I recommend replacing these ones also.

3990761120_59ccf990e1.jpg

I find it much easier to use an allen key than a screwdriver.

Have you seen this, found in the 'files' of TALScopes yahoo group.

TALScopes GEM mount Maintenance & Operations Manual

Cheers,

Andy.

• 4 months later...

Archived