Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yahoo widgets

russ

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has setup any of the Yahoo widgets?

There's some excellent astronomy related ones, in particular, a live feed from UK Astro Buy'n'sell and Astromart.

Also, moon phases and various astro pics of the day.

You'll need to download the Yahoo Widget Engine, which is free and downloaded from here:

http://widgets.yahoo.com/download/

From there you'll be able to pick widgets to download.

Well worth a look.

Russ

Just a caution on the number of widgets you have running at anyone time. You may find your PC slows down, along with your bandwidth being eaten!!!

Other than that, very useful

The Buy'n'sell and Astromart widgets should be okay as they are not running all the time, they only update themselves on a user defined period. You can set their update times from every 5 mins to something much longer. Shouldn't impact PC resources or bandwidth.

Pics of the days are probably a dfiferent kettle of fish.

I have 4 widgets running - UK Buy, Astromart, F1 news and a moonphase.

Russ

Have re-read your post, I notice that Yahoo have 'eaten' the original Konfabulator.

Are the older ones compatable do you know, Russ??

It was probably the older / original ones that gave issues....

'eaten' the original Konfabulator

that's right Daz. Not sure if the older ones are still compatible though.

Just been checking the cpu and memory useage, the four widgets don't seem to have any impact. Bandwidth isn't a problem as the County Council have a huge pipe to the web.

I know the Newsfeeds can be a real problem, especially when the virus checker grinds the PC to a halt checking the feed.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived