Narrowband

USB 2 guru required

Daz1969

Hi all, Can any one help with this one.

I have an old ish pc which runs the scope and ive just added a meade DSI mk1 for imaging, Although the dsi works the pc tells me ive plugged in a high speed usb device into a non usb2 socket and it will work at a reduced speed,

So i bought a USB2 card and installed it. I pressumed that this would make the new sockets usb2 / highspeed - However when i plugged in the DSI i get the same as before'you have plugged in a highspeed bla bla bla' Is this right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers:icon_salut:

Daz

What OS and version are you using (IIRC, USB2 support was introduced in XP Service pack 1)?

There may be a setting in the BIOS that is limiting USB support to 1.1 or it may need upgrading. If it's an old PC, browse the manufacturers website for the latest BIOS version.

hi

it may also be driverissue, for the usb 2 card, if there are any.

a google on the name of the card would help find them, if there are any needed.

what is the name of the card, and modelnumber?

alfi

Was this a fairly cheap USB2 card?

There were 1000's of usb2 cards around a few years ago that never worked as USB2 all made with the same chipset, I cant recall the name now, but I went through 3 or 4 different cheap usb2 cards a few years back and never got one to work. Spent months trawling through tech sites for answers and it eventually boiled down to the fact that the cards would never do usb2 speeds whatever drivers/os/bios settings you threw at them. Sorry to put a downer on things, let me know if I am wrong though and you get it sorted...:D

I would try and get hold of a cheap powered USB hub and try that, as I say I did have this issue from time to time before i used the powered hub. In fact if I remember correctly I got it again one night and it took me ages to discover the power had dropped out of the hub!

Cheers guys, It was a very cheap card £1.99 infact -Ebay special.

I wonder if its like you say and never gonna run at fast speeds.

With those powered hubs would i plug it into the card that i cant get to work fast or do i plug it ito a usb1 socket?

Daz

Ebuyer are usually quite good with their specials (well ram excluded...)

This acctually sounds like a driver issue.

Personally id try removing the card from the device manager, go control panel, add new hardware, let it scan for it, and chose to locate the drivers yourself when prompted, and point it at the driver cd or drivers you get off the net.

If its a generic card which is incredibly likely a quick method for finding the drivers is to simply remove the card, look at the chips for any with a logo, or serial number (usually the biggest chip) and type that in google follwed by "driver"

Try these (and some of the above suggestions like checking bios settings, its unlikely that you would need to upgrade bios, but some bios screens do have the option to disable ubs2), if not then id get:

Cheap Laptops, Hard Drives, LCD Monitors, TVs, Televisions, Hard Drive and more at Ebuyer.com

At £6 its only slightly more but it has 58 feedback all with the thumbs up.

I do tech support so if you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Mike

Did you get USB2 working? :D

I was a bit light on details in my post!

The last section in device manager is 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'

For USB2 you need an entry for 'your USB chipset + USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller'

In my case I have an entry for 'Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller

Hi Kev And Mike, Thanks for your suggestions,i had a look in device manager and found something a tad alarming - i found the new card listed" via usb2 enhanced host controller controller " however it has a yellow ! on it

when i check its properties it says "this device cannot start" reason being" code 10" whatever that means? Yet the actual card works (tested with my LPI and mouse)

Also under other devices in device manager i have yellow ! next to the following:

ethernet controller,multimedia audio controller,sm bus controller,usb controller,video controller

which is strange because my other usb sockets work as does my monitor screen. I must admit i do not have any sound but this never bothered me before and it has never been on the net(While ive owned it) as it is used just for scope control,hence why ive never looked at the device manager as i didnt know i had problems.

Whats going on here then?

Cheers

Daz:icon_salut:

what is the name and modelnumber of the card?

it sounds like a driver issue.

doubleclick on the "via usb2 enhanced host controller controller" and look at the "driver" page, see if it says anything about driver not installed, or something like that.

sorry, dont know exactly what it says, mine is in norwegian.

alfi

Hi Alfi, Double clicked where you suggested and it says the following;

Driver VIA USB 2.0 EHC. When i look at the driver details it shows this -

C\windows\system\32\drivers\ousb2hub.sys

c\windows\system\32\drivers\ousbehci.sys

No idea what it means.

As i said ealyier i used the supplied drivers disk that came with it and it is kind of working but just not usb2 speeds.wierd!!!!

Cheers

Daz

Hi Mate,

Id really suggest getting that 6quid card, its branded (and one my company uses). Sometimes the ebuyer generic cards can be a bit tempermental.

Though having other devices showing as ! Is worrying. You know you can right click on them and delte the buggers, windows will then detect them again and isntall them. At that point you can point it to your own drivers, so try unistalling the USB2 thigny (welld eleting it fromd evice manager). Then when it redetects it, point it at the cd.

Mike

Archived