Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A tale of three Astro shops

BlueAstra

The story so far:

Pulsar Optical, ordered an adapter ring on 8th Sept, CC debited 9th Sept. Nothing arrives, checked on 25th Sept, said now 7-10 day delivery. Checked on 2nd Oct, order lost, have to re-order, will phone back with new delivery. 5th Oct, no phone back and no answer from shop.

Telescope Planet, ordered different adapter ring on 30th Sept. Rang on 2 Oct, no answer. Rang on 5th Oct, sorry, should have sent an email, not in stock, should have it 'in a few days'.

First Light Optics. Ordered a guidecam on 7th Sept, arrived first thing 8th Sept.

Enough said.

(The adapter rings are not on the FLO list :D )

Actually, just ordered a skymax 180 from FLO this morning - first order i've ever made with them and they really seem to have their act together - good price and efficient order taking. Seem to actually WANT customers (unlike the others listed above who come up with tedious regularity in complaint threads). Its funny, but I always thought that while for SnS, customer service is something other companies do, their prices were keen- but calling FLO, they beat them hollow (oh - and the ladyI spoke to at SnS didn't seem especially interested in my custom either...).

Thats the trouble with SnS I think. They do have the knowledge (at least some of the staff), and they have a lovely showroom, but what comes through loud and clear (assuming you can get them on the phone at all...) is that when calling you are not a valued customer with money on the hip, but just another order to be completed. This leads to a poor impression as little more than box shifters (and if, as I say their prices aren't as competitive as someone like FLO), it begs the question as to why order from them.

Repeatedly I see examples in threads of poor communication or bluster as to the availability of a given item. And for that matter, laxity as regards refunds, follow up special offer freebies or whatever.

Not sure it's that clear cut Ron... "The Others" are who... everybody but FLO? That's a rather sweeping comment that I may want to take exception to.

Whatever, my beautiful WO carbon 2" dielectric diagonal from FLO arrived today, which is when they said it would... and as Dean said, the price does indeed go towards making FLO the first stop on the list.

Arthur

Not sure it's that clear cut Ron... "The Others" are who... everybody but FLO? That's a rather sweeping comment that I may want to take exception to.

Whatever, my beautiful WO carbon 2" dielectric diagonal from FLO arrived today, which is when they said it would... and as Dean said, the price does indeed go towards making FLO the first stop on the list.

Arthur

The only people my words refer to, are the ones who know very well if the cap fits them Arthur.

I'm surprised SnS and Telescope planet are still in business with all the bad publicity. I have dealt with nearly all the astro dealers out there and never had a problem with any of them. However I have never dealt with the two I have mentioned, I wonder why?

I tend to use the companies who take there time to listen to my request, I make my purchase(s) and if happy will use the same company time after time even if they are not always the cheapest. For a good example of after sales care just, follow this thread to the end.

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/88749-new-pair-16x50-binos-faulty.html

FLO for me too, these guys attend star parties and would come under a barrage of complaints if their service wasn't up to scratch, they are astronomers first and foremost and are therefore not detached from their customers. I too am amazed how some of these parcel shifters manage to stay in business. My biggest pet hate is when items are not in stock, but the staff pretend they are, once they have your money the service stops. When items are delayed FLO keeps you informed at all stages. You only have to look at the companies that get repeat customers and I bet FLO are near the top. Once bitten, twice shy is my motto.

Archived