Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hotech SCA Collimator

dark knight

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got the Hotech laser collimator, but what do I do when the focuser is wobbly? Looking at the doughnut while pulling out the focuser, the laser dot shifts about a centimeter when fully extended from when it's completely retracted.

I think you need to rethink your choice of collimation tool. Lasers are great but their accuracy can work against them when used in a focuser that is not solid and secure. Trying to produce a meaningful result using the standard Synta/Skywatcher 1.25" R&P focuser is an exercise in frustration. You can improve things by stripping, regreasing then reassembling the focuser but even then you won't truly benefit from the Hotech's accuracy until you upgrade the focuser. Please contact us to discuss alternatives and options.

HTH

Lerxst - The quality of the focuser plays a huge part if consistent results are required, a new focuser for my sw200p is next on my wish list. The focuser on Steph's deluxe Lightbridge is a huge step up compared to the stock focuser on mine, Steve what are the focuser options for a sw200p, most the ones I've seen are for 10" and above??

On second thought, having the focuser (somewhat) extended to the point where I use the EP's, would worsen the situation! If the focuser is off-axis, any attempt at collimating, would result in severe out of collimation!

If the focuser is fully retracted, it should be on-axis. Come to think of it, watching those Hotech Youtube collimation videos, they always have the focuser fully retracted when collimating.

It's a tough one Lerxst cos there's the school of thought whereby the scope ought to be collimated as you describe but then others, possibly including myself haven't decide yet, where you collimate with the EP position in mind. If there is a consistent shift when the focuser is racked out to the image plane then that's how and where it ought to be collimated to take account of the shift.

Dark Knight, as for the comparison with Catseye, I'll let you know how I get on, I'm waiting on a delivery of their new 2" Autocollimator and spots/template. I bought this to compliment the Hotech and tighten up the final collimation, not to compete with it ( I hope). The Autocollimator really comes into it's own with faster than f6/f5 scopes, I still hope it'll help me though with my f6

what are the focuser options for a sw200p

The Skywatcher low profile Crayford focuser does not officially fit the Explorer 200p but we have customers who disagree. I would test it myself if not for the fact they are currently unavailable and the next delivery is at least a month away.

The Moonlite focusers are rock-solid and an installation kit is available that guarantees a good fit. The single-speed model is most affordable and offers greater control than regular run-of-the-mill dual-speed Taiwanese focusers offered under various brand names.

Feathertouch and JMI focusers are also very good though they might not take advantage of your telescope's existing screw holes (check with one of their dealers). Baader Steeltrack focusers are another good choice but they can be difficult to source here in the UK.

HTH

... as for the comparison with Catseye, I'll let you know how I get on, I'm waiting on a delivery of their new 2" Autocollimator and spots/template. I bought this to compliment the Hotech and tighten up the final collimation, not to compete with it...

They will compliment each other very well indeed.

BTW, Jim at Catseye has accepted First Light Optics as their official 'exclusive' UK distributor but it will be 2-3 months before we can begin promoting them properly as Catseye first need to increase production. Until then the only way to buy Catseye collimation tools is to order them direct from the US, you might need to be patient though as the season has begun so he is very busy.

Dark Knight, as for the comparison with Catseye..... I bought this to compliment the Hotech and tighten up the final collimation, not to compete with it ( I hope). The Autocollimator really comes into it's own with faster than f6/f5 scopes

I've been using the Catseye autocollimator for some time now and virtually the first thing I did with it was check my laser collimator which agreed with it (to my delight).

Karlo - when the autocollimator arrives get everything set up so that the triangles are all overlapping in the early evening on a night where the temperature is dropping fast then sit and watch as temperature changes gradually move the faintest of the triangles out of the stack... :D

James

Cheers James !

Congrats boys on getting the retailer status too :D:icon_salut:

Thanks, we are feeling pretty pleased with ourselves :D

It was mostly James, he is FLO's collimation guru and is a big Catseye fan. Together with Hotech we will have collimation pretty-much nailed down.

In your expert view James, Catseye's complete package or Hotech?

I have a really niggling feeling in trusting lasers, the Hotech I have heard nothing but praise but the Catseye system looks fantastic and as it's non laser should be more accurate then Hotech.

Thanks, we are feeling pretty pleased with ourselves :D

It was mostly James, he is FLO's collimation guru and is a big Catseye fan. Together with Hotech we will have collimation pretty-much nailed down.

I'm really hoping that together these will help to get the performance back in my %&%$(* Cape !!! :D

In your expert view James, Catseye's complete package or Hotech?

I have a really niggling feeling in trusting lasers, the Hotech I have heard nothing but praise but the Catseye system looks fantastic and as it's non laser should be more accurate then Hotech.

Expert? Me? (We need a 'spotlight' smiley). I use both. I tend to use my laser collimator at the beginning of a session and then later in the session when things have cooled I'll use Catseye kit to get things just right. With the autocollimator if you can see all four triangles you're effectively collimating to 7 times your focal length - this is obviously much more accurate than a laser but given I know my laser is spot on I find it very convenient for a quick collimation.

James

Hi James, sorry I didn't intend a competition between the Hotech and the cats eye system (surely only one winner there), I intended merely using the cats eye as yard stick to validate/determine the Hotech's accuracy, which I think by your comment you have done so and the Hotech comes through with flying colours.:D:D

I finally got my scope properly collimated. The problem was that the thumbscrew on the focuser was too tight. Even though the drawtube does wobble a little bit, it's only when I rack it in/out fast - much faster than you would with looking through an EP. With careful movements, it was actually pretty perfectly dead on except for when fully racked in and fully out, so I got it collimated.

Archived