Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem with SkyScan/SynScan controller

Hello Everyone.

I've added a SkyScan/SynScan hand controller to my collection but I'm having a problem with it communicating with the mount. If I plug a 12v power supply into the controller it initialises okay and comes up with a comms error which is not suprising as it's not connected to the mount. If I then connect it to the mount and connect power to the mount - nothing, and no motors running on the mount. If I use the original smaller hand controller everythings fine and I can hear the click as the motors start and then a quite hum as they run.

The cable am using I aquired from Astronomiser

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

I've had the db9 end apart and there are no loose connections is there anything else I can test or check.

Regards

Keithp

Just thought I'd update this with excellent news received from Andy:hello2: at Astronomiser.

There was a fault with the rj45 socket and it's been replaced and returned to me today.

Excellent service from Andy at Astronomiser.

I'll be 'goto'ing for Thursday night! Seeing as the Met reckons that'll be the only clear night this week!

Regards All

Keithp

Well the replacement/repair came nice and early on Tuesday, not tested it till now as this looks like a clear night..

Am I 'goto' ing...am I hell as like. Just been out and hooked it all up and exactly the same symtoms as the previous one...NOTHING.!!:D

I've given up with Astronomiser:mad:..I'm returning it requesting a full refund plus the two lots (2nd time I've posted it back) of postage.

Not a happy bunny.

Keith,

I had some doubt about the compatibility of the Syntrek and Synscan.

Just found this on the web:

The new HEQ5 SynTrek is effectively a hybrid of the standard HEQ5 and the HEQ5 PRO SynScan. It is basically a standard EQ6 but with a pre-installed PRO SynScan motherboard and stepper motors, and supplied with its own unique SynTrek hand-controller.

The SynTrek hand control is designed for the purpose of providing a simple slewing and tracking control. The small and versatile SynTrek hand control provides automatic tracking of celestial objects as soon as the power is turned on. The user-friendly interface provides quick access to many other functions the SynTrek has to offer.

The HEQ5 and EQ6 SynTrek mounts can be upgraded to computerized SynScan system by simply changing the hand control to SynScan hand control (prod.code 948). See HEQ5 and EQ6 Pro mounts for specifications for the mounts and details on the SynScan hand control.

• SynTrek Hand Control
  • Power supply: 11 to 15V DC 2Amp
  • Motor type and resolution: Microstep driven 1.8 stepper motors. Resolution: 0.144 arc sec (or 9,024,000 steps/rev.)
  • Slewing speeds: Guiding speed, 4x 8x, 32x, 64x, 800x
  • Guiding speeds: 1x, 0.75x, 0.5x, 0.25x
  • Gear ratio: 705
  • Tracking rates: Sidereal, Lunar, Solar
  • Tracking Modes: RA tracking

So if this is definately the version you have, you're right the SynScan should work??

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

;):hello2::(

Heh heh, just received my controller back from a member of the forum who I can't praise high enough:headbang:

DAVID61 :D the main man!

Plugged into the mount and switched on and heh heh it boots up!

David's business is HitecAstro which is definately one to look out for..

One happy bunny!:p

Archived