sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

If you won the lottery....

RichieJarvis

What kit would you buy?

NickH's comment about the solarscope he would have if he got all 6 numbers got me thinking (and yes, it does hurt!)

So, what would I buy? Well, I am a mono-imager at heart, but would dearly love to cut down the acquisition time - 4 scopes sounds to me like a great idea - each with its own camera and filter (LRGB or Ha/OIII/Hb/SIII)

Scope wise, I think the best I've seen recently has to be the ASA range of scopes - obviously, with money to throw around, it would have to be 4 of their biggest - the ASA N16 F/3.6 Astrograph :D

Mount wise, I don't know whether I could get away with all of those on a single mount - I doubt it! So I would go for a matching set, and get the ASA Direct Drive Mount 85

Camera wise, it would have to be 4 x SBIG STL11000M cameras + filters...

Of course, I'll need a nice big house in the country to house my new observatory for all this kit as well!

And I suppose the missus can have whatever is left :D

So what would be on your kit list then??

Cheers,

Richie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit work... big house.. obsy... seek advice on here for the Astro kit but probably WO fracs and probably a monster EQ mount to fit into the obsy.... and some form of high end cooled CCD... a new SLR and lots of shiny new and superb quality lenses to go with...

Move to Queensland (love the diving), cope with "the wet" for 3 months to get 9 months of glorious skies... and stick in a 250mm TMB on a AP3600 with a 105mm TMB side by side, combined with a second AP3600 with an AP/Intes 14" Mak side by side rig.., third setup a 24" RCOS on a custom mount... Finger Lakes cameras all round, Astrodon filters all round, 0.3A Solar Spectrum and SF200 filters, sheylak spectroscope fibre optic linked.. a 200mm CaK setup, and for star parties, a G11 with twin AP/TMB refractors and an Intes 10" Mak for planetary, all in a motorized 24 x 16 run off roof obs, gigabit ethernetted to the house..

A house in the country, possibly down near Kielder as I like it down there. A fairly big obsy with a eq6, SW astrograph, a couple of fracs and sct's, oh, and umpteen cameras.

After I have quit work I should have enough time to use all of the above.

Maybe we should have a SGL syndicate................. ;-)

Gary

Already got the house in the country (a country with nice weather) so I would be able to concentrate on a huge telescope, huge mount, and huge observatory - I would also need a crane to lift the huge telescope into the huge observatory - I would advertise on SGL for an assistant.:D

Probably a 20" Custom made ASA, with the 1.6x barlow extender.

No doubt FLI CCD's. Around 5 would keep me interested.

and for something really special a deep depletion CCD, required for proper NIR imaging.

Custom Scientific custom made 1.5nm narrowband filters. Ha O3 and S2, He II, N[iI]. Several others....argon is another emission line that comes up.

Obsy placed in California, somewhere near the sierra nevada. all run remote.

Move to the USA, probably California, do some flying

Audi A5, member of an upmarket golf+country club.

cant think of anything else....

Big Finca in a dark sky site more inland in Spain, rebuild the finca as a large observatory. I have already mentally drawn up a wish list. Internet connection, security cameras viewable online, controllable by ACP, Huge mount and then I would budget (if we are talking a 10 million win on euromillions):-

1 mil on the scope

500 thou on a multiscope multicamera array

All power, switching, lights etc remote controllable.

and any other automation i can think of.

oh and loads of sbig cameras!

I think about this every Friday night before euromillions...sad I know!

Neil C

Probably a 20" Custom made ASA, with the 1.6x barlow extender.

No doubt FLI CCD's. Around 5 would keep me interested.

and for something really special a deep depletion CCD, required for proper NIR imaging.

Custom Scientific custom made 1.5nm narrowband filters. Ha O3 and S2, He II, N[iI]. Several others....argon is another emission line that comes up.

Obsy placed in California, somewhere near the sierra nevada. all run remote.

Move to the USA, probably California, do some flying

Audi A5, member of an upmarket golf+country club.

cant think of anything else....

Apart from the Audi...(DB3 or DB2 would float my boat), I like this setup!...and deep depletion CCD...oooh yes!

deep depletion has caught my eye.....

there are several issues doing NIR imaging with a frontside CCD.

and the NIR is an underused part of the EM spectrum. Certainly in the amateur field.

what *you* could do with a 200mm CaK scope boggles the mind.

shudder.

Paul

have you done any NIR stuff with professional scopes?

First thing i'd do is have an observatory built (with warming room) out at the Starpad, with a 1200 foot tunnel connecting it to the house. That way, i could use it during the winter no matter how much snow there is. :D Then i'd get a 36" Dob (with tracking), a 10" refractor, and a 12" Mak.

Yep, i think that'd do it for me. :D