Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What lens should i get?

Hello,

could anyone give me some advice on a better magnification lens for my scope.

Its a Skywatcher 200P Dobs.

I have a 10mm and a super wide 25mm and a 2" 2x Barlow. I would like a 2" lens and something more powerful than what I have already. I want to see jupiter closer up, and also what type of filter would i need to go with it, so that looking at Jupiter I can see more of the true colour.

Any advice greatly appreciated

MrGlen

To get more magnfication you need an eyepiece with a smaller focal length in mm - generally 2" eyepieces are made in medium to longer focal lengths (ie: providing medium to low powers) so you might as well stick with the 1.25" fitting forhigher powers. Your current 10mm eyepiece with the 2x barlow lens gives you 240x magnification which will be showing you all the detail that you scope can on most nights - you might want to think about a better quality high magnfication eyepiece such as an orthoscopic of around 6mm focal length to use instead of your 10mm / 2x barlow combination.

John

Thank you for the quick response.

Could you recommend a 6mm lens (make etc), that will fit my scope? I dont want to spend a fortune.

What about filters? What type of filter would be good for seeing more of the true colour of Jupiter?

Thank you

MrGlen

Thank you for the quick response.

Could you recommend a 6mm lens (make etc), that will fit my scope? I dont want to spend a fortune.

What about filters? What type of filter would be good for seeing more of the true colour of Jupiter?

Thank you

MrGlen

Just in the interests of managing expectations - what are you seeing at the moment ?. It's not going to be possible to see all the vibrant colours and details you see in the images whatever eyepiece and filter you use. I wouldn't want you to spend £50 or so on an eyepiece only to find that you are seeing the planet quite well at the moment. Visual views are always much more subtle and less immediately impressive than the images that todays CCD's can capture.

John

This is an interesting question as I have the same telescope (great isn't it ? :-)

Rather then looking for a closer view of Jupiter I find myself thinking about a wider angle EP so I can observe Pleiades in one view.

Funny world :o

Archived