Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling Heath Autumn 2009 - Aberdeen AS visit...

Trull

KHAutumn was to be my first proper star party and luckily my wife fancied visiting Norfolk after spying a write up in Good Food magazine. So as we don't have any camping gear (that's my excuse) we booked a Heron, and after a 10 1/2 hour drive down from Aberdeen arrived on the Saturday morning...

The trade were out in force, so I had a blether with the AstroTrac boys and said hello to Bob Mizon who remembered me from CfDS forum activity. Why more astronomers don't spend a 1st class stamp every year asking their local council's progress on light pollution is one of those odd things. Anyway, I went off to enjoy the talks that afternoon - which were all very good, although I felt for Nick who had to scoot from the other side of KH to start his.

Meantime Melanie was getting into H1, which was as the brochure promised very comfortable.

Over the course of the week we explored Northern Norfolk, on a foodie theme. Tasting Cromer Crab, local artisan sourdough bread, local cheeses, bacon, pork pies, beef, smoked eel, smoked chicken/duck, Yetman's beer. Its all great stuff, and I can recommend an awesome farm shop "Back to the Garden" its well within a bike ride distance. Back to the Garden: Organic farm shop, fine delicatessen and cafe in Letheringsett, near Holt, North Norfolk.

We also ate at the rather lovely Wiveton Bell, Wiveton Bell

However, back to the astronomy, I rolled out my Vixen ED103 on its GPDX (SS2KPC) mount, and after some tutelage from the very wise Tim got it all working so I could take 5minute exposures of the Pacman Nebula. I also spent some time with SpaceCowboy, Sue and Pete, David, Dave, Dave (did you ever get your biscuits?) and many many others who made me and my wife extremely welcome at their scopes... my little 13mm Ethos was chuffed to get so many nice photons.

Hand on heart I don't think I'd do anything any different, although maybe for next year here's a daft idea: How about forgoing the discount on the pitches, making the week astronomers exclusively and putting the extra cash towards buying glarebuster lights? The GlareBuster

My highlights were:

• Slotting Ethos into a NP101is - my head reeled from the spacewalk experience with sharp tight stars all around
  • Looking through a 18" newt
  • Looking through a 16" Celestron on a Titan mount - wow
  • Finally getting my mount properly autoguiding - thanks Tim!

Well done KH staff, LAS, NAS, and cheers to all the friendly astro folk who made the 1000+mile roundtrip worthwhile :-)

Here's two images I snagged whilst chatting...

trull-albums-kelling-heath-autumn-2009-picture2922-andromedakelling.jpg

Stack of 5x5min exposures of M31

trull-albums-kelling-heath-autumn-2009-picture2921-pacman1026x894.jpg

Stack of 17x5min exposures of the Pacman Nebula

Very nice Images Trull, and you have no need to apologise to anybody. Tim's a great guy, and will always help where he can.

Blimey, I though the trip from Carlisle was a long one, but Aberdeen, that is a marathon run. Did you break the journey up, or do it in one go?

It was a great time anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If I go again, I think I would need to plan a Motorway route. I hate the A1.

Ron.:o

We drove down to Lincoln and stayed overnight, before charging to the line on Sat morning. Getting home was done in one, although we stopped for tea at my folks' house near Edinburgh before eating the remaining 150miles home. Its a looong way. Route was A90/M74/M6/then trying to be as direct as possible, courtesy of sat-nav.

Archived