Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

minimalist

M31 from a dark site

Not sure if anyone's interested, but went on vacation to a really dark site (near Yellowstone Park in the US), horizon to horizon Milky Way.

Took a few different target pics, still processing most of them. Thought I'd post this one, taken with my field setup. Canon 70-200 f2.8 lens at f4, modded canon 1000D with astronomik luminance filter, and at iso 800. 18x10min subs. I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of the image, and the fact that I hardly had to fiddle with the colors at all.

Hope you like.

Autosave001.jpg

Daniel

Wow, that is impressive :o

One day I hope to be able to do something similar, will need to save the pennies first though :)

Look forward to the others when processed

Very impressive, I gave this an hour the other day but from my location the results are only average, nothing I'd be willing to post. Excellent job.

I'd love to get a decent 3 hour window to image M31

Neil.

An excellent capture Daniel what a difference a nice dark site makes to an image. My only comment though would be that you have clipped the black point a bit and the star field looks biased towards the blue.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. Kevin, you're right, I think I'll have a redo of this one. Not had a chance to work on anything else, been busy catching up with the world.

Paul, the setup I use when traveling is actually fairly inexpensive. The lens I use is not cheap, however you can get one that performs as well (and maybe even better) as an astro lens for a fraction of the cost.

Daniel

Ok, following advice on here and Richie's excellent article on the GaBany method, I did a reprocess. Unfortunately I overwrote the original, so the first post now contains the reprocessed image. Sorry about that. :D

Does it look alright though? In addition to trying not to clip the blacks and eliminate the blue cast, I also left the image a bit softer.

Clear skies.

Daniel